GSSL Transformer - Where can I find it?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luigi

I am having a hard time finding a transformer in the US. Anyone know where I can get it a 110v? I contacted jaycar and they only have 240v......

[quote author="soundguy"]you can use an amveco from digikey too.

dave[/quote]

These have been sold out for a while. I still need another one. I think the wait is still another month or so out.

Matt

I prefer Avel, but you can just up the VA rating a bit and order the next size up Amveco. A 25VA, 30VA, or 35VA will all work fine. And they should all be within $1 or so of one another.

Great!
Jtoole> I just ordered 2 from partsexpress!
They are in backorder til firstweek of June.
I cant wait til it gets here.
Thanks for all your info guys. Much appreciated!

No way! I didnt know that! hehe, yep, I am going to call them tomorrow!!
Thanks for the tip Greg! :thumb:

I just received the transformers (Y236103) today!! AWESOME!! The lady at Avel was so nice and very easy to order!! I recommend AVEL! :grin:
Here is the link for people who wants it from them

http://www.avellindberg.com

I have a newbie question though.. :oops:
The transformer that I got was 2x15v
How do I hook up to the pcb? I looked at the PCB and Sch from Gyraf and it says +12V, -12V, +15V, -15V.
Does that mean that I can still hookup my 15V to the 12V location?
Also, on the transformer, there is a color code for the cables:

Blue:
Gray: 2x115V
Vio: 1x115V
Brn:
Blk: 0v
Red:15v/1.00A
Ora 0v
Yel: 15v/1.00A

I read on some of the thread that you have to hookup some cables together? Does that apply to this one? I am soooooo lost....

From my understanding, the wires goes like this?
#1 - Not used
#2 - Red (15v)
#3 - Blk (0v)
#4 - Ora (0v)
#5 - Yel (15v)
#6 - Not used

pwr.jpg

Is this correct?

Luigi, first, you should test your transformer. So you know it's wired right and the correct voltage before you connect it to the PCB. Be sure you are ready for this. Take precautions, be very careful around AC mains power. Don't leave unshielded wires exposed or loose, etc.

Here's how I understand the wiring should go with your transformer, (but we ought to verify this before connecting to the PCB).

Connect Purple and Blue together to 117 AC Neutral source (not Ground).
Connect Brown and Gray to the 117 AC Hot source.

Connect Red and Orange together, and later they will go to the middle hole near the top left on the PCB, where it says "external transformer."

You should see about 30 volts between the Black and Yellow wires.

The Black wire will go to the top hole in the PCB, and the Yellow on the bottom of the three holes.

Hopefully Greg or someone will confirm.

cheers.

I am sorry for the delay.
So that means that we are not using any of the holes on the PCB that I uploaded beforee...ahhhh, got it.
I was getting confused because I've seen GSSL before with transformer wires going into the pcb holes on the pics which I have uploaded...
BTW, the price was $17.85
Awesome price!!!

Luigi, you probably could use those holes, but I think you'd have to put the rectifier in the position next to that area, instead of the top left on the board where it goes if you use an external transformer. The holes you showed are for a transformer that mounts right on the board, which you are not using.

I have not built a GSSL, but I have a stuffed board that I am troubleshooting, and that's how it's wired, in the top left area.

Hopefully someone who has actually built a GSSL will come through here and verify.

Thanks Tommypiper! I really appreciate for your help!
Well, the reason why I was really confused is because of this picture.
This is the GSSL built by Radiant and I was trying to figure out by looking at it.

testen1.jpg

Here is his link for the GSSL site.
http://gssl.rolandklinkenberg.com/english/index.html

If you see on his picture, the wires from the trasformer goes to the board where I uploaded the pics.

Yeah, that is one way to do it. Where is your rectifier mounted? In that picture it looks like he has his rectifier mounted off-board, on the brown board. Along with other things. So I don't really understand what he's doing there.

I found another picture showing the other way to hook it up. I don't know how to post images on this site so I can't post it.

Send me your email and I'll email it to you. Maybe you can tell me how to post pictures on this site.

Latest posts

Back