Fitting a long SPECK channel strip to 19" rack....??

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freq Band

GDIY Supporter
I bought 2 of these pulled SPECK (800b) input modules on ebay,
as seen here:

a2_1.JPG

What is a typical approach to racking these........concidering that they are about 28 inches long?

The circuit board you see above is, by itself, about 21 inches long.
I have thought about cutting it at a proper place, and sort of "folding" it
under itself (or on top-of), mending the cut traces, and relegating new smaller pots....so it fits into a one-space 19" rack format.

I have not mapped the traces yet but, the eq circuit is on-board, and what seems to be a mic transformer (??)....as there is a Mic/Line switch.
-----------
..Or, is it even worth it ?
There are a coupla leaky electro's..... replace all.
The three chips are:
one quad RC4136N (LM4136N) at the eq,
an RC4131N (gen. purp. op amp)
and a typical LM741cn near the Mon/Pan pots.
...and a "Waters" brand 10k slide pot.

??

=FB=

Pretty sparce modules. Search for Sony PM1000. There are a few ways people deal with racking them.
For the face, you can lose the bussing, fader, and auxes. Inside, the folded board idea is good. There is hardly anything there, so you can probably do a good job just reducing it from each end, making sure that any traces looping through the removed parts are re-connected.
Are they supposed to be anything good?
Mike

maybe the 21" length can fit diagonally in a deep 19" rack case. You'd have to relocate pots and switches (duh).

Could be a dumb idea.

Chris

Have you completed this rack job?

Im doing a similar project, Its an Amek einstein channel strip, too long for a 19 inch rack.
I cut down the Aux and Group sends section of the PCB and re connected point to points that were cut that I still needed.

Maybe I can help you somehow.

Attachments

• Amek Einstein - PCB cut.JPG
    Amek Einstein - PCB cut.JPG
    126.7 KB · Views: 121
:eek:
oh no!
edit:
@whoops: yes; shocked. what a challenge. most of the controls-- the logic/assign/etc. is of no use by itself.
your work looks very nice though.

shabtek said:
:eek:
oh no!
edit:
@whoops: yes; shocked. what a challenge. most of the controls-- the logic/assign/etc. is of no use by itself.
your work looks very nice though.

Thanks a lot for the kind words mate.
Although it can look shoking because you are cutting a working circuit board, this was the only way to fit it in a 19 rack case.
After looking at the schematic and carefully looking at the board traces, I figure out that if I cut it before the AUX and Group send section I  was only cutting 4 important circuit  tracks, all the other tracks were for the AUX and groups.
So I just re-linked those 4 tracks with wire after the cut.

Looking at it know , it was actually much easier than I expected initially.

the project continues here, if you want to have a look:

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=27689.0

Latest posts

Back