Valve Mic Cable for G7?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob Flinn

I have been looking at what mic cable to use for my G7 mics & from UK sources have found the following 2 :

Farnell part no 583-080 £36.61 for 10m
Canford Audio part no 30-938 Mogami 3172 £42.30 for 10m

Has anyone used either of these & what are their opinions?
Are there any other cables that are suitable that can be had in the UK?

I've tried both, and like them.

Not much difference in my opinion - both behave well, and are relatively easy to work with.

Soundking has tube-mic cable also, but I haven't tried that. It seems impossible to buy..?

Jakob E.

Alan Hyatt/Studio Projects have a couple of new cables soon to be released. One is a replacement for the T3 tube mic cable and according to Alan, gives far better performance than the original that came with the mic.

:cool:

Same as Jakob!

I've used the Mogami, and also the Gotham tube mic, which I think came from Farnell. Both are very nice & solder well.

Mogami is black and has a twisted pair for the audio, but the insulation on the fatter heater wires melts a little too easily! The gotham is a nice rubbery grey outside, untwisted audio, but the heater wires are a bit less melty. I think the gotham flexes a little easier.

Stew

I'm still toying with the idea of running two cables to the mic and having the heaters seperate from the audio/pattern/B+ . Both sets could then be screened separately. I believe this is more or less what Blue do with their £100 mic cables.

I guess whatever savings you made in cable costs you would pay out in extra connectors, though. :sad:

The square microphone uses two cables. One is for the power the other is a standard 3wire XLR. I believe some Manley microphones are wired this way.

[quote author="Gus"]The square microphone uses two cables. One is for the power the other is a standard 3wire XLR. I believe some Manley microphones are wired this way.[/quote]

Yes Manley have separate cables. Too, I have to find cable like Mogami or similar. Also I am thinkin to feed separate audio and voltage line.

would the benefits of using two cables with seperate screens be lost if you ran them up into one connector? I think that might be worth the trouble. Amphenol makes connectors that are large enough to accomodate two cables.

dave

I've been using a 2 pair cable with good results. I don't really see the need for specialty type cables in most configurations.

i just found this web site while sourcing my g7 mic. these prices are the lowest i've found by far. redco is in u.s. i dont know where they will ship

http://www.redco.com/shopexd.asp?id=653

http://www.redco.com/default.asp

go to custum build page i built 15 ft, 7 pin, gold pin, mogami cable $57 us
same with gotham cable and silver pin outs $49 us

thomann.de has a spare cable, xlr 7 pin, 2 connectors allready mounted, but dont know if its exactly what you looking for...

http://www.thomann.de/de/the_tbone_xlr_ersatzkabel.htm

[quote author="Sorr"]Whats wrong with spiral?[/quote]

In my experience, particulalrly live use, the spiral slips, & the copper spiral ends up like a spiral stripe running down the cable. Screens are most effective when they are 100% coverage. With some spirally screened cables this can wind up (excuse the pun) being around 50% once you've used it a bit & it's slipped. I am fully aware that there are good & bad quality cables of this type, but I personally never buy it for this reason.

The manufacturers advertise spirally screened cable as highly flexible, which for me is it's best property, but I just want the screening to be good & am not really worried about flexibilty.

I need some info on how the tube mic cable is wired. I am using mogami and amphenol connectors. I have orange and white, audio, hooked to Pins 3 and 4, green and blue, heater, pins 6 and 7, red and purple, bias, pins 5 and 2, and pin 1 ground which is not hooked to anything. My question is what do I do with the ground pin and have I done the rest correctly? Can't seem to find anything about it.

Whats wrong with spiral?

I've been using Gotham GAC-2 and GAC-1 cable for +15 years live and in studio with no problems at all.
They're double shielded, that means two shields each spiralled in opposite direction from the other one.
Very robust and flexible!

Back