New Gates Sta-Level?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fazeka

Apologies if this has already been posted, but knowing there are some Gates fans:

http://www.vintageking.com/s.nl/sc.18/category.1019/it.A/id.7209/.f

wow, and cheap too!

I just finished recapping a Sta-Level for a friend - he paid $500 for it, which I know is a steal, but come on. Other than the transformers and the 6386 and maybe a high quality meter - is it really that expensive???

[quote author="soundguy"]wtf does a handmatched audio coupling capacitor do?

dave[/quote]

Vindicates the purchaser shelling out stoopid $ :roll:

I gotta laugh when people complain about retail prices being "too expensive"...

[quote author="Milkmansound"]is it really that expensive???[/quote]

Of course it is - if you're an actual company trying to manufacture and sell them. Really simple economics. For the most part, companies don't pull those numbers out of their asses.

Peace,
Al.

Out of the time-honored freshman micro-economics formula: Price = Cost + Profit! :wink:

This is pretty intuitive. The part that people aren't used to is considering ALL the costs involved when you're a factory: (besides the cost of materials, which is all that we see on our end as DIYers) rent, utilities, marketing, advertising, employee salaries, R&D, manufacturing equipment, safety compliance testing, accounting, legal expenses, taxes, insurance, product distribution, post-sale support, et cetera, et cetera). To us it's like "What? $2500 for 300 bucks worth of parts?!?!". To them, it's more like "Gee, are you sure we can't raise the price by .6% to help fray the cost of X, Y and Z? That's really gonna hurt...".

Peace,
Al.

Using the 2x 6Bj6 instead of the 6386 is a design by this guy Palmer in Missouri ... I hope someone didn't rip him off.

He helped me tremendously when I was building my Unit .. Oh yeah...
Mine cost about 1000 to 1200.00 at the end of the day to build.

With the birth of this Marketed Clone ... If you have an original unit now it will be worth ... what?? 3500.00??? :? :shock: :roll:

Build it yourself.

Clones are cool only if you build them yourself :green:

sta1.jpg

sta2.jpg

Yea, I think that price is quite reasonable. Using two 6BJ6 tubes is very similar to the 6BA6 tube replacement... the Manley T-Bar. I think it was PRR that posted 6386 vs. 6BA6 curves somewhere here, and they looked pretty much the same. I used those in my Fairchild 660-like compressor and it works well but you need to match the tubes really well to make it work right.

I did a 6386 to two 6BA6 conversion on a friend's Sta-Level as well, and it worked pretty well. I didn't have matched tubes so it thumped a bit if you decreased the attack/decay times with an attack/release mod. Matching two tubes is really very easy if you have a box of ten or twenty of them.

-Dale

Latest posts

Back