Valley People Op Amp

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HarryH

I have a handfull of these little buggers, anyone know what they are like and what the specs are?Can they be used in a API 312 type pre?
Harry

Well thats cool.I had been wondering about the pin outs.Has anyone built something with these before?Or actualy heard them in a application?
Harry

[quote author="Samuel Groner"]
I had been wondering about the pin outs.
Well, it looks to me as if it were written on the case...

Samuel[/quote]

HA ha ha ha...good one, Sam.
icon_razz.gif

analag

Don't know anything about these but I love the casing... Anybody got a schematic for a basic application circuit? I think I found a source of NOS valleys...

jt

Made by masons, for masons.

I think the picture on those things has sold me, my curiosity needs to know, depending on the price at least. My curiousity can be pretty cheap. Anyone know where to get one or two?

adam

I will talk to the fellow that has some on monday and see what the best price I can get them for,then I will let you know.We might need to do a group buy.

I have at least 8 of these NOS that I'd be willing to sell.

I purchased them new around 1977 as spares for some custom mic preamps that I built for someone. Never needed them.

Cheers,

Looks like I can get a bulk order (over 10) down to $15 each, from $20 each ordered individually. Is there enough interest for a group buy? Otherwise I will share the info for anyone that wants to make an individual purchase.

jt

[quote author="jtoole"]Looks like I can get a bulk order (over 10) down to $15 each, from $20 each ordered individually. Is there enough interest for a group buy? Otherwise I will share the info for anyone that wants to make an individual purchase.

jt[/quote]

Price depending, I'd be interested in a pair as well.

Regards,

Peter

[quote author="clintrubber"][quote author="jtoole"]Anybody got a schematic for a basic application circuit? I think I found a source of NOS valleys...

jt[/quote]

At CJ's site:
http://www.vacuumbrain.com/docs/valley_people.html [/quote]

Sorry for the non-info above, I hadn't realized those green boxes come in different flavours :oops:
The info at CJ's site is about the TA-103 transistor array, a different beast.

No problem. The docs that mediatech posted look like the right stuff. There is a mic pre circuit in the applications pdf that looks pretty straight forward. I'd like to try and build a pair.

[quote author="mediatechnology"]OK, I've got the Transamp documents here:

http://www.tenmilecreek.net/images/valley_people_trans_amp.pdf

and for applications info:

http://www.tenmilecreek.net/images/valley_people_trans_amp_applications.pdf
[/quote]

Thanks for the pdf's MT!
Did not have those.

I hung a Triad HS-56 on the output after getting tired of weirdness with the direct out.

The micpre sounds good to me. A 1:1 will not color or distort as much as a step up or step down, so the concept of a super clean mic pre has not been comprimised much.

Just a tad.

cj

One of CJ docs the schematic looks like the module.
The MTA103 is NOT the correct one.

MT has the stuff except the module schematic.
Which I think CJ has.

This unit is not too exciting but for a $20 module
it could be a lot better than most pres.
I hate op-amps so I have not built my pres but get a group
buy and I will waste my money on several.
Remember DOA fans this thing has an op-amp inside it!

But I bet it sounds better than 99% of the stuff (junk) you can buy today.

Go for it.

I believe the VP module is just an array of matched transistors along with a dual leg current source, all thermally coupled.
The opamps would be mounted on the circuit board along with the module.

Yes, 20 bucks and no iron.
Be careful with phantom, if you use polarized caps on the input that is.
I used polys.

Latest posts

Back