Poor Man's 660 Progress Report

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
normal_Test1.JPG

normal_Test2.JPG

SMD schottky for the heater, screw the whole thing down on top of it to keep them cool.
normal_Test3.JPG

OK people that's it.

analag

I'm totally impressed. From idea to sim to built in such a short time is incredible. Any chance of some sound samples?

Matt

[quote author="fucanay"]I'm totally impressed. From idea to sim to built in such a short time is incredible. Any chance of some sound samples?

Matt[/quote]

That's the beauty of a simulator...time and money saver right there bro.

[quote author="da_ardvark"]so analag are you saying that the amount of compression you're getting is similar to the graphs you posted earlier??

Nicely done.
[/quote]

Exactly, and it sounds better than it looks, even as a line amp it rocks...bass takes on more bloom and audibility without messing up the soundscape, if you know what I'm trying to say.
Working on the samples.

analag

How can you really reference the sound, what will you compare it to.
I do hip hop, not rock.... larger than life drums and lots of low frequency here. The only thing I can think of is a before and after sound sample.

The thing I regret about this compressor is that I don't have two. And I'm too lazy to build another one.

analag

I would like to propose a "test signal" we pass around for such purposes. Uncompressed vocal and uncompressed real drum kit. 10 sec each. In wav form. Then when we build a new something, we can post it's sound to a known reference. And then perhaps, compare units that have never met.

[quote author="Larrchild"]I would like to propose a "test signal" we pass around for such purposes. Uncompressed vocal and uncompressed real drum kit. 10 sec each. In wav form. Then when we build a new something, we can post it's sound to a known reference. And then perhaps, compare units that have never met.[/quote]

That is a really good idea!

Well set up the sound so I can show off what my baby can do. Make sure it's real dynamic.

analag

[quote author="analag"]Well set up the sound so I can show off what my baby can do. Make sure it's real dynamic.[/quote]

:grin:

That sounds like some sort of an evil mastering engineer..

Funny you should say that, mastering engineers always compliment my use of compression on mixes. I never over compress as I think it adds a dulling effect to the sound, that's why I have been building and rebuilding these things for over 7 years to get transparent gain reduction.

This box delivers....now I know why the 670 is so sought after, it's the compressors, compressor....get it?

analag

Hey Rowan, compression on mixes is absolutely cool if the engineer knows what he/she is doing.

Compression for sound = cool
Compression for loudness = crap (most of the time)

:cool:

They accused me of playing computer games with this and even the AOC design, so I ended up building the Poor Man to prove a point and it worked out better than I expected. So partnering up with Volker I am able to share and hope the privacy of the design will be respected. How about a tube active passive with inductors built around M4 steel. Sounds better than ferrite.

analag

Back