trying to ID a "pulled" part...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sedstar

I figured you guys would be the ones to know. I "pull" parts in case anythign seems it might be remotely useful in the possible future, you know how it is...lol

anyway, I was popping out a few voltage regulators on an old organ going to the great gig in the sky... and I noticed the massive heatsinks...THAT gotmy attention...

pulled four, well, appear to be transistors

Motorolas, 8352 's

got four of them. With teh size of the aluminum heatsinks, i figured they might be fairly hefty audio amp transistors.

having trouble just running part numbers and coming up with anything, these are in the TO style metal case, with only two legs that go down into the receptacle on the other side pf the heatsionks.

so do I have some 50 watt audio power transistors that were running in push pull or something? heh heh...

NOTE: I did do SOME legwork, I'm not useless, lmao. since it was an older hammond organ, i combed some sites, trying to find THEIR parts codes. the "002" trailer indicates a transistor/semiconductor... I'm just used to seing thre legs on a transistor. Judging by the size of the heatsinks, these puppies are made to dissipate some heat and are somethign slighly BEEFY.

> do I have some 50 watt audio power transistors

Yes. And the dumpster has the rest of the power amplifier: the heatsinks, the power transformer, the driver board, the chassis. Probably in working condition, or repairable for a lot less trouble than building an amp around $10 worth of old transistors.

And if the amp was for-sure not in working order (not just bad switch or wiring or blown speaker): the power transistors are most likely dead.

> in the TO style metal case

ALL common US transistors are in a "TO" case: TO-5, TO-39, TO-92.....

> with only two legs

OK, TO-3. The legs are the emitter and base; the case is the collector. The collector junction handles the heat so it is soldered solid to the case to get the heat out. That means it is also electrically "live": did you grab the mica washers that insulated the TO-3 case from the heatsink? The TO-3 sockets that make contact to the case via the two screws?

I have the cover off a Curtis-Wright 1,000 horsepower aircraft engine. I figure if I keep collecting odd parts I'll wind up with a Hellcat fighter plane........

Latest posts

Back