Manley Vari-M Limiter/Comp

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Siegfried Meier

Anyone got any info on these as far as schematics or anything? I really want the mastering version but I just don't have $5k sitting around here.

Thanks,
Sig

You're saying they're not worth it? Then why do 95% of all the pro mastering places use it for master limiting?

I know I can't purchase one anytime soon, but it would be nice to build one, or something like it.

Thanks,
Sig

sig-

not for nothing, but have you ever heard one of those things?

everyone is entitled to their own opinion but I would keep your 5K firmly planted in your pocket until you are able to do some real critical listening on that box. Does the "mastering" version use plastic lorlin switches as the "upgrade"?

Then why do 95% of all the pro mastering places use it for master limiting?

Either a)name recognition or b)because they never heard any of the pendulum gear, those are my two best guesses. Certainly nothing to do with the sound that comes out of that thing.

dave

Thank God it's Memorial Day weekend, and all the Hells Angels are setting outhouses on fire up at Bass Lake,CA>
:razz:

Oh, and Happy Memorial Day, you freaks in the US!

Did that gal qualify for Indy this year?
The one with the geeky huzband?

I worked with one of those for awhile,as well as the vox bx,and must say I will never see why people tout those things.I think people want to brag on the name,but dont know what good sounds like.All the pros have one,therefor so should I.
Harry

Wow I had no idea people felt this way about the M*nley stuff. Keep it coming folks. I'm curious to hear it.

And what in the hell is CJ talking about? Oh yay for random posts.

Sig

[quote author="Siegfried Meier"]Wow I had no idea people felt this way about the M*nley stuff. Keep it coming folks. I'm curious to hear it.

And what in the hell is CJ talking about? Oh yay for random posts.

Sig[/quote]

yes I ment they were not worth it. FWIW I have used Manley gear and have a good mastering friend who swears by them both massive passive EQ and vari mu. I never could figure out the why. maybe it has to do with viva tubes mentality that they tout or something of the sort. Once again dave speaks some sense. Whats a persons opinion but just that opinion. IF you like them after using them then go for it but take time to try them out. I remember when pro audio stores used to do loaner units and you could try gear out in your own studio. oh wait they astill do Outside of mics and speakers one can do a 30 day loaner from banjo center. IF an item outside the formentioned is returned proior to 30 days they must take it back no questions asked. I once got 3000 in snakes for a live gig I was recorded and returned them without issue other then a pissed sales floor jerk. If it were me I wouldn't and would definately conside something else for that kind of money. I really like how on the VB the comp comes before the mic pre :roll:

I never found the vari-mu to be as fun as a properly rebuilt old piece. And it didn't really do as much, or as well. More clinical. It just got a rep being one of the first re-issues of this type. You really have to have the sidechain option to not make it pump all the time, and I see no reason for it to cost so damn much as an option. I think most people here will build their own vari-mu type for tons le$$, with the features they want, before buying one of those.

I have one, after longtime testing, and it's a very good tool for 2 out of 3 masters or mixes I do. I also purchased Jakob's Gyraf Gyratec X Varimu and that one get's used about the same amount of time too. Both are varimu, both give each their own distinct colorvariations. Check out Jakob's box too, if the pricetag of the Moonley scares you, you will not be disappointed with the Gyratec! If you like a tight lo-end the Gyratec might even better suited to your needs then the Moonley.
I was lucky to have both together in my studio for about 10 productions of testing/comparison (because there's a good moonley distributor close to me, and Denmark was still within reasonable shippingcost distance).

Call Jakob, he one of the nicest people I've met in the pro-audio world since I started back in 1987.

So if that bit a kit isnt much cop and not worth the doe then what can siegfried make for himself ???
what would be your ultimate machines guys ??? id like to know havent had much experience myself but would like to hear any thoughts
How much do you want to spend Siegfried by the way ???

It was Manley stuff that made me come here in the first place,I wanted to learn if I could do better,or at least build something and tailor it to my taste. I dont mind spending money,but I need to feel its worth it, and that stuff is not in my opinion.I did however buy a Shadow Hills,Peter's stuff is great.Or should say buying since its not here yet.
Harry

Im glad to hear we all seem to have the same opinion about the varimu! To me, the problem is in the tone of the audio path, like the amps or transformer theyre using. Not the actual sound or feel of the compression itsself. Putting a mix thru that box makes it sound like its yelling or pressing its face against a sheet of glass. Oooouch.

Ive never heard a Pendulum but theyre supposed to be better. And the EAR660 is supposed to be good too, tho it has no attack control for some bizzare reason.

I personally use a pair of CBS Audimax IIs which you can pick up on ebay for under $1000US (i think i paid a total of 1300 for both of mine). You have to do a few mods, replace tubes and build a box for the attack and release controls, but they come up really well and theyre my main mastering compressors now. Also great on vocals, drum mix etc.

M@

not a varimu, but the pendulum ocl-2 is amazing amazing amazing good. Everything you put into it just comes out sounding bigger and better, pretty much the exact opposite of the manley.

dave

Hey Dave,

Did you have a chance to look inside the OCL2 box. I understand that they use a method to make the optos behave faster than in normal opto comps. Any info about this?

chrissugar

Latest posts

Back