G1176 versus other compressors

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gert

Hi guys,
This is my first time on the board.Why is everyone building the G1176 or SSL? What about LA4? It' s not so complex like SSL or G1176.
Gert

Both sound very good and aren't that hard or expensive to make (of course this depends on the quality of parts you use).
Another very big advantage of both is that Jakob provided lots of good info and documentation. After i did the Green mic pre the G1176 was my second project and right from the start i felt pretty secure with all the info around so the jump into the cold water didn't feel as cold :green:
If you have a problem with your version chances are pretty good that somebody from the board already had the same problem and knows how to fix it since both projects are so popular.

Flo

pardon my ignorance, but was the ssl imbedded in a consol or was it a seperate rack unit?
does anybody have a picture of an original one?
and where did the ssl mixer company come from? are they a Neve shootoff, or just a newer brand of mixer?
thanks!
there is some 1176 history over at the Universal Audio site, by the way.
:guinness:

"No-one will ever buy a console with a telly in it" :green:

Can't remember who said that in ´77, but I doubt he's making consoles today :grin:

[quote author="Gert"]What about LA4? It' s not so complex like SSL or G1176.[/quote]

the Kev opto comp was based on the LA4
I just replaced the input and output with some SSM2143 / 2142 chips.
I did stick with the original 4136 in the side chain.
Have used both LED / LDR and Vactrol units and they work fine for what they are.
bass guitar
... some vocals
... some synths
... I usually find something for them to do.

Back