Pultec PEQ1 VS Pultec EQP1

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

white noise

Hi,

This might be a stupid question and / or been asked before -so my apologies upfront- but I was wondering what is the difference between the Pultec PEQ1 and the Pultec EQP1, expect for a different front panel design? Thanks in advance!

All the best, David.

Thank you both for your answers. :thumb: So if I understand it all correctly, Gustav's Pultec PEQ1 board is essentially the same as the EQP-1A?

All the best, David.

[quote author="gyraf"]the filter section, yes[/quote]

So how about the rest circuit? I'm very interested with Pultec EQ. But i think i will start the pultec project end of this year since I've plan some mic pre & modding MXL's 1st. I just wanna know is there anyone etching PCB for Pultec...

Thanks guys...

[quote author="drpat"]That would be the EQP-1A3. It used an API 2520 DOA.

As pointed out before, the ONLY thing that the Gyraf version has in common with a Pultec is the filter section. To me, that's a very small piece of the puzzle, if you're gonna be slapping the name "Pultec" on your EQ.

I've seen too many "clones" around here that just slap the word "Pultec" on a perfectly copied faceplate with Lundahls or Cinemags inside :? This is no closer to a Pultec than a "Lang" was to a Pultec. Why not just slap down the word "Lang" or better yet "Western Electric", the original designer of that passive filter... Either way, to me, putting somebody else's company name (wheather they're still in business or not) on a box is just plain tacky and misleading, no matter how close you think it sounds to an original.

Moving on... When people want advice about building a (let's call it) "passive equalizer", I always recommend doing a solid state version. Trust me...

First off, I have more than a few real Pultecs, and the solid state versions sound remarkably close to the tube versions. People are split about 50/50 as to which actually sounds better.

Secondly, my solid state Langs sound much nicer than my tube Pultecs.

SS is waaaaaaaaay easier to build, and a lot cheaper too. If you buy the DOA, you won't even need a circuit board.[/quote]

I've do search on PEQ1, EQP & Pultec... but mostly i dont understand or i cant find the differences between them/designs...

Latest posts

Back