Usefull gate circuit

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StephenGiles

DrawmerDS404b.jpg

a pcb by Friday morning????
Stephen

Better watch out about those big pics! PRR and the 'Margin Police' will soon be over to site you "fer shore, boy!"

Cool Schemo, thanks for posting! And the cross-coupled balanced output is on the tail there too...! Very interesting. I think this is a very well respected piece in PA.

Peace!
Charlie

At first I thought you meant that it's very respected in Pennsylvania :?

I guess you can count me among the "margin police", because I also believe that huge graphics should be linked offsite instead of embedded in messages. Nevertheless, thanks for sharing the file.

I'd guess you could sub any of the newer THAT VCAs with the recommended value changes. The SSM level detector would be the hard one to find.

Drawmer service manuals can be had for the princely sum of £5 - that's 5 GBP. Incidentally, the Drawmer DF320 noise filter is incredible - of course people are still using noise gates for home recording, especially in summer where I live because the chances are that you will get the sound of a lawn mower with a Spitfire engine in the background! Our neighbour (note correct spelling y'all) likes to keep her grass at billiard table length!
Stephen

[quote author="gyraf"]Do you mean that anyone is still using noisegates?

Jakob E.[/quote]

I've often wondered why we haven't seen more gate projects around here to be honest. Even though software platforms obviate gates to a point, I enjoy patching the things up manually and fiddling with key signals. Analogue gates can be fun, you can send them key signals from modulation sources on synths for example. Even though o/b gates might be obsolete in "noise-gating" terms, I still have a soft-spot for them in "creative" applications.

Thanks for posting the schem Stephen.

BTW Stephen, did you get around to trying out that Eventide phaser schem you posted? If the schem is proven to work I'd like to have a go at building one.

Cheers,
Justin

thermionic - I'm sure it works, I drew it from the circuit in the Eventide manual, but I have not built it myself........YET! Maybe next winter when my wife is out teaching 3 evenings - then I get 3 hours without interruption!
Stephen

PA still has use for lots of gates i assume,
so do the people who record/mix in analog, don't they?

I'm sure that quite a few people still record and mix in analogue. My trusty Teac 3340 gave up the ghost a couple of years ago and a good deal got me a Fostex VF80 digital recorder, which in my view is an effects unit with an 8 track recorder thrown in, but with severe limitations!
Stephen

Gates for creative purposes are wonderful. You can get some truly amazing effects with them. I use them regularly! Also when doing analog stuff, they can be kind of cool...but I don't really mix from analog very often anymore.

It could be a fun project...

Back