"S" G9 Pics & Xformer guide *Not for 56k'ers*

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skylar

Here's my finished G9 which has been done for a few months, but I haven't had a camera to capture its beauty with until now. So, naturally, the G9 (or as I called it the SG9) was the first thing I shot with my new camera!

FrontPanel:
FrontPanel.jpg

Compared to my original photoshop mockup:
SG9-Pultec-Blue.jpg

Front_2.jpg

Right.jpg

Left.jpg

Note the Axial Sprague Atoms for C25/C125:
Inside_Front.jpg

Inside.jpg

Inside_Left.jpg

Closeup of the Silkscreening:
Screen.jpg

And finally, a toroid wiring guide I drew up for this project:
G9Toroidconnections.jpg

Very very nice! :grin: You did a gooood job!

One question: I see two additional caps on B+ (245V) with 10µF. Do you have some hum left or what was the reason for this? Thanks!

Wolferl

I second that wow!

How did u find graphics like that for those knobs or did u make them?

Yes, an impressive job ! And a very nice rack :cool:
A good design also for the front panel, with some (!) inspiration for my G9...
Is there a copyright on it ? :green:

G9_opened.JPG

G9_2496.JPG

Thanks Skylar ! And of course Jakob and it's amazing G9.

I
herz.gif
the colour! :thumb:

Iam a bit afraid with using this (facetted :wink: ) pilot light because one side of it isn't isolated with the chassis? (gnd loop) I used leds instead of the light bulb.

Thanks for the kudos, guys. I couldn't have done this project if it weren't for Jakob (of course) and many other forum users who built the G9 and posted their problems & solutions.

So, everyone give yourself a big pat on the back!

Wolferl,
I assume you're talking about the big, blue Spragues. I didn't actually use extra caps there--just really big ones. No reason really, it just felt right.

guavatone,
I did a mock up of the entire frontpanel in photoshop [more info in this thread: http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=14719 ] by measuring the physical dimensions of all the parts (knobs, instrument jacks, jewel, toggle switch) and adding graphics around them. I then transferred those graphics into Illustrator and gave the Illustrator vector file & pre-drilled panel to my local screenprinter. The font used is Avant Garde ITC.

suprughetto,
I had pretty extreme oscillation problems on both channels. I switched to shieled wire, and that solved the osc problems on CH1 entirely. CH2 still had osc in the last 2 gain stages, so I cut traces and ran shielded wire directly from the PCB to the instrument jack. Voilà! No oscillation whatsoever--this G9 is totally CLEAN!

Campistron,
Very Nice! I dig the graphics *wink*.

If anyone would like the Illustrator graphics to use on your own projects, let me know--they're free for the taking

Skylar: I modified your document to show the wire colors for a few of the more popular transformers used in the US. Hopefully you don't mind. I think it could come in handy for others like myself who have limited knowledge about toroids and come across this thread. I found the best way to look at the diagrams is to look at each transformer independently and compare it to the guide linked in a post above. IOW, even though transformer #2 is fed backwards, if it doesn't make sense, think of it as a typical 220v hookup flowing forwards; then reverse the flow.

Since I altered these in Photoshop, I had to leave out a few of the cool features you used.

G9ToroidconnectionsAmveco.jpg

G9ToroidconnectionsHammond.jpg

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but this deserves showing..
This G9 is beautiful!

Did you get my PM, skylar? Im not sure if I send it correctly..

Great job!

Back