dremel Aluminum FP

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guavatone

Do dremel cutiff wheels do a decent job on 0.125" aluminum alloy (5052-H32). I am cutting a hole for a VU meter. I plan on making the hole smaller and file/grinding it to size.

-Thanks

hmmm, can't answer it directly, but I use a jigsaw for cutouts like this. What will happen with the dremel is it will catch and go spinning across the panel at some point, with much cursing coming from the operator of said dremel =)

At least in my experience this has been true.

Actual milage may vary.

Regards

ju

I use the dremel for cutting out VU meter holes. The trick is to do it from the back side so if it does go buzzing off it only messes up a part you won't see.

I recommend using the reinforced fiber cut off wheels, the regular ones are WAY too brittle and break off continually. Also, it a good idea to drill holes all around the area you want to cut out. It saves the wheel and makes them last a little longer. And remember that the metal file is your friend. Leave the hole a little tight and file it down to fit better.

Cheers,

Matt

Good idea maybe I'll use my expensive drill press and drill most of it. but I am curious how the jig-saw would work with a metal blade. I used it before on rakc rails and it was hell (stronger metal -obviously). I wonder how clean a line you can get with it.

know about the breaking of cutoff wheels too well and it takes tons of patience ressetting the wheel.

[quote author="guavatone"]
know about the breaking of cutoff wheels too well and it takes tons of patience ressetting the wheel.[/quote]

Exactly, use these ones and it happens a lot less

426_pd.jpg

Matt

Also you might look into a Dremel right-angle adapter. You can't really make square cuts in the middle of a panel because the body of the Dremel gets in the way.

Dremel snake, fiber cutoff wheel
AND
a spray can of lubricant. Or those spendy little wheels will go up in smoke pretty rapidly
and a mask cause that smoke will be lodging in your nasal cavity. Grossest boogers ever.
P

Um, how about a chassis punch? Nothing gives you a cleaner cutout, in my experience. Check evilBay for used punches.

The only drawback is they don't seem to work worth a damn on diecast. But they're the tits on sheet metal.

A punch is tits up most best way to go. But they get pretty big before they get through the front of a par-metal rack. I guess a slug buster but do they get square? I always just dremel my way through everything.

Clamps are a nice thing to have too.

The best I've found is a router with a good carbide bit. It must run very fast 30000rpm or faster. Use alcohol or compressed air to cool it.

Yep, a hand router, running in a template that is fixed to the front panel.

5185.jpg

I run it at 20-22.000RPM - and use A LOT of parafine oil for cooling/lube.

Standard 6mm carbide wood router bits seems to work fine in 4mm aluminium - just dont force it, and keep some extras around, because they'll break.

Jakob E.

I liked the metal jig saw like butter. I tried the dremel for 5 minutes and had not patience for it.

3 cuts done with saw in 2 minutes - top part started to dremel for 2 minutes and gave up, drilled and sawed.
cut3.jpg

Nice and smooth after filing
cut5.jpg

Thaks all! :thumb: :thumb:

Latest posts

Back