Another great book now online

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewYorkDave

I'm pleased to announce that Oliver Read's The Recording and Reproduction Of Sound, second edition (1952) is now available online at this page:

http://www.pmillett.com/technical_books_online.htm

Thanks to Pete Millett for scanning and hosting!

I love that site, although with my luck he always seems to put up scans of a book right after I find a copy. I suppose it's just as well; I'm usually happiest with a physical book in my hands anyway. Actually, it is great just to be able to have copies of a bunch of these books accessible from any place that has an internet connection. Now if he can only scan a copy of Amplifying Devices and Low-Pass Amplifier Design, which I haven't been able to get my hands on. . .

I'm part way through "Amplifier Builders Guide, Hugo Gernsback, 1947",

Easy to read, and has really helped my understanding of tube amp theory.

Thanks, Dave.

> Peter Millet must be a robot, or run a sweat shop, how does he scan all these?

He explains somewhere.

He cuts the binding off so he has a stack of loose pages, and drops it in a scanner with automatic sheet feeder. If you pay that much for a scanner/feeder, you get software to export the mess in proper page-order again. The upside is low labor. The downside is he "kills" the book.

I was going to send him my father's Radiotron Third, which I already wore the binding off of (and replaced), but Pete posted a copy the same week I was about to do that.

I know one small unique item was gently hand-scanned so it did not have to be killed for posterity. But you can't do that with the monster books unless you ship them to a low-wage country.

From time to time I check that place for new books. What a great resource of information.
:thumb:
chrissugar

I'm glad you like it, guys. It was totally worth buying that extra copy... not only for being able to donate it to Pete's collection, but for the satisfaction of keeping "states" from getting his hands on it :wink:

WOW! It was yours?
Dave, you are so generous. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
Many, many thanks.

chrissugar

Wow, Dave! The world of DIY would suck balls without guys like you! Thank you!

And thanks to Mr. Millet, as well!

:thumb:

Peace,
Al.

Beers to da bookman! :sam: :sam: :sam:

A couple of these chapters are getting printed, as soon as I refill my ink cartridge.

This is some fabulous stuff. Thanks, Dave, for letting us know. Me, I'm off to the college library this week for some serious downloading.

Peace,
Paul

Latest posts

Back