"we use no Toko inductors!!!1"

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Viitalahde

htttp://www.manleylabs.com/containerpages/minimassive.html

(copy & paste and remove one "T" from the start of the url, I didn't make it a link for various reasons)

Behold the inside shot of the new Mini Massive from Manley. Those coils are most definately the off-the-shelf coils many places sell. :cool:

Gotta keep the illusion up i guess , i thought somewhere that they
[ she ] said they wound their own transformers , so why not coils ?
unless it ain't true , they were early in on the chinese microphones though

Hope it isn't a case of charging allot for snob appeal to make people think it is an exclusive high quality product , well i think quality is pretty good but i can't afford anything

thanks for the post !

Makes one wondering what's actually inside those nifty looking other boxes :twisted:

I do like that diagonal 3-wire bandcable bridge though :grin:

Curious their repair depot is in another location & state , are they just pumping them out at the factory now ? At least its not another thing coming from china !

regards Greg

[quote author="Viitalahde"]Those coils are most definately the off-the-shelf coils many places sell. :cool:[/quote]

When I saw the pics, that was exactly my thought. :grin:
I remember at the old place when EA said "we don't use any Farnell inductor" :green:

chrissugar

[quote author="chrissugar"]I remember at the old place when EA said "we don't use any Farnell inductor" :green:[/quote]

I remember the heated topic very well. :wink: What's the big secret, if the off-the-shelf coils sound fine then let it go and keep no mystery around it?

So much gear if sold to people simply by taking the tech talk to the level no-one understands. "wow, these guys must know their stuff!"

Well as people get older and depending on their social status , different
words have the appeal of youth or unattainded things of the past & future..

but seriously a better question is do they share a 2*5*2*0 footprint ?
and what's the topology ?

regards Greg

[quote author="chrissugar"]I remember at the old place when EA said "we don't use any Farnell inductor" :green: [/quote]
and didn't I get scratched and clawed over that one

even after I specifically said I was only using Farnell as an easy to understand and relate to, type of descriptor for the component

I didn't suggest it was in fact supplied from Farnell and that there were many manufacturers that might use that can to place their inductor into

:cool:

it was suggested at the time that there was TOO much protesting
but I didn't say that

maybe fi they used off the shelf parts their shit might sound good...

Its very funny to me, I thought those amps were RAPTOR amps and always thought that was a pretty cool name for your opamp. Fucking raptors, right? Wrong, duh!!! Rapture, of course they didnt call them raptors, that actually would have been badass. Manley is just the paradigm for so many things, none of which Im sure they intended...

dave

I don't think its black or white , the less you pay , the more you tolerate
but they cultivate a custom / exclusive vibe for which they charge a
considerable amount ...............so as subjective as it is

if they use the same parts as others , is it worth more from them ?

I'd still like to know what their amp block is all about

As Nick Lowe said " whats so funny about peace , love & understanding ?"

[quote author="Viitalahde"][quote author="chrissugar"]I remember at the old place when EA said "we don't use any Farnell inductor" :green:[/quote]

I remember the heated topic very well. :wink: What's the big secret, if the off-the-shelf coils sound fine then let it go and keep no mystery around it?

So much gear if sold to people simply by taking the tech talk to the level no-one understands. "wow, these guys must know their stuff!"[/quote]
Hey, making bold statements and then don't proceed accordingly happens to the best :wink: I mean, remember the Mackie 'we don't use wall-warts, cos we hate them'-quote ? Then enter those Tapco-series using... It's all about $ of course, and fully understandable, but still...

Alike situation here of course, it won't be a M but under the non-tube sub-brand of L

[quote author="okgb"]
if they use the same parts as others , is it worth more from them ?
[/quote]

Why does a Neve cost considerably more than an identical clone from another company?

But thats beside the point... where are you going to find your copy of a langevin mini-massive to make such comparison? You aren't suggesting its based purely on the parts it contains now are you? That would be very "IC's Suck" thread material.

[quote author="EA looks like a Manley Website"]A 3-way toggle on the back panel (IRON) not only allows those with the transformer option, to bypass the transformer, or to use the transformers, or to force them into a more vintage-like flavor for even more fat and aggressive colors. [/quote]

I have know idea how this thing sounds. It may sound amazing, regardless of what they're using to build it. But why would you put any type of audio control on the rear of the unit. "I wonder what this would sound like with the transformers engaged. Let me pull it out of the rack and flick that little switch."

nuts.gif

"...was designed to be a tube EQ with character and with the creative potential of forgotten passive techniques"

Oooooh.... Aaaaaaaah!

Wait. When were the "forgotten passive techniques" forgotten? :green:

Latest posts

Back