Buying a Hakko - need some tip advice

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruairioflaherty

Hi all,

I'm a beginner and I've been researching what iron to buy over the last few nights :)shock: it's 4 a.m. again). I live in Ireland but I think I've decided to get a Hakko 936 from http//:tequipment.net in the U.S. I could do with help on some advice on specifics

-What size should I go for - I'm thinking medium?
-What tips should I buy?
-Do I ned to order a station for 230V or are they all the same?

Believe me when I say that I've read every word of every iron thread here and just about everywhere else. If anyone else has a suggestion for a good station that would be available from RS or Farnell I'm all ears - my budget is around 100 euro.

I've got a Small Bear kit waiting to be built,

mucho gracias,
Ruairi

Hey there,

I use the stock tip that came with the 936, and it works just fine. It's probably a medium chisel.

the station has built a studio's worth of equipment, and is still goin strong.

Order the 230V version if they have it, as mine is 120V, and does not have a selector switch (like some equipment does)

Hope this helps. :thumb:

Regards

ju

Those Hakko tips will last a lifetime if you take care of them: I bought replacement tips to go with my 936, and now it's about 4 or 5 years later and I'm still on the stock tip (the replacement tips have since gotten lost somewhere). Use the stock (1mm?) tip and be happy! :thumb:

You will probably have to find a Hakko distributor in EU to get your hands on a 230V model, though...

Peace,
Al.

Thanks for the help guys - good to know the stock tips are great. I'm still not sure what size pencil to go for, they offer small, medium and large. I contacted the Irish distibutor and they are looking for 160 euro (around $200) for a 936.

Will need to see if I can get a 230V model cheaper,

cheers,
Ruairi

I have that Hakko.

Stock tip is great for most things. I have found myself switching to a smaller tip for tiny little circuit board stuff. Getting one of those woudn't hurt. They're like five bucks, right?

Latest posts

Back