NKT 275 Germanium Transistors

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khstudio

Does anybody have any or know where to get them
(that aren't "FAKE" or cost $1,000,000,000)

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Nobody will sell them that I could find.

I only need 1 or 2 good pairs... about 80 - 100 hfe

BTW, I've tried a LOT of other Germaniums & like the 275's (Not reissues or copies) the best.

Kevin

I don't know if they are 275s but I have a bunch of germaniums that I got a while ago with varying HFE. Arron Nelson was selling the FF Ge's a while ago you can try that or I can see if I can find some to fit your spec.

[quote author="guavatone"]I don't know if they are 275s but I have a bunch of germaniums that I got a while ago with varying HFE. Arron Nelson was selling the FF Ge's a while ago you can try that or I can see if I can find some to fit your spec.[/quote]

Please check if they are 275's :thumb:
I've tried several others & there the ones I like best.

I'll take hfe anywhere from 75 to 110... but around 90 is perfect :wink:

Thank You,
Kevin

[quote author="khstudio"]Wow... nobody :cry:

I guess Mike Fullertone bought them all up :roll:

Kevin[/quote]
Didn't he got them made again ?
That may be just some PR-quote though, I don't know.

FWIW, after having measured a modest pile of AC128 (those I had were underwhelming) I went for a pair of OC44.

Well, I emailed Fulltone... a nice email & I got a very short responce:

"Sorry, we don't sell parts."

I heard he was a dick. If he does have custom made transistors what's the big fuckin deal, selling a pair for personal use... I'm not in business here.

:mad:

[quote author="khstudio"]I heard he was a dick. If he does have custom made transistors what's the big fuckin deal, selling a pair for personal use... I'm not in business here.

:mad:[/quote]

Ho ho, mind your language - he frequents over here (at least in the BM-section when looking for solder-people). :wink:
But why not make that FF-clone now with what you got and see if you run into a pair of those '275's one day.

You've seen the 'extended-FF'-schematic BTW ?

Bye

try digitroncorp.com -- it wont be cheap, and there may be a minimum order. these are the guys who make the transistors that have been discontinued. so if someone is getting these nkt parts made, digitron is probably the ones making them. if you can get a group together, enough to place a 25pc or 50pc order, they'll probably go for it.

ed

[quote author="edanderson"]try digitroncorp.com -- it wont be cheap, and there may be a minimum order. these are the guys who make the transistors that have been discontinued. so if someone is getting these nkt parts made, digitron is probably the ones making them. if you can get a group together, enough to place a 25pc or 50pc order, they'll probably go for it.

ed[/quote]

Good idea, Thanks :thumb:
Maybe I'll buy a stack myself, test & sell them.

BTW, I've built several "clone" fuzzfaces + about 10 other pedals...
I really like the 275's every time I play or hear them. The AC128 (when you get the gains right) aren't bad.

Honestly, I really just want a pair so I can repair an old "REAL" fuzzface.

Kevin

[quote author="clintrubber"][quote author="khstudio"]I heard he was a dick. If he does have custom made transistors what's the big fuckin deal, selling a pair for personal use... I'm not in business here.

:mad:[/quote]

Ho ho, mind your language - he frequents over here (at least in the BM-section when looking for solder-people). :wink:
But why not make that FF-clone now with what you got and see if you run into a pair of those '275's one day.

You've seen the 'extended-FF'-schematic BTW ?

Bye[/quote]

I'm sorry, I was just pissed off. I'll find what I need somewhere else :green:
I really do like some of their pedals. I just don't see what the big deal is... you'd think they where gold, like a reissue Jensen or Celestion speaker :?

I've seen most of the Fuzz schematics & mods. Can you post or send me a link?

Thanks,
Kevin

Wow. I have a slew of NOS RCA germaniums that I almost pitched in the trash, but didn't. I figured I might need them for replacement purposes someday, even though I'd never build something new with Ge transistors (awful things that they are). I should get those out of storage sometime and make some $$ :grin:

Not all Germaniums are created equal when it comes to the fuzzface & other similar designs. If you've ever back to back compaired & play guitar you may agree as a lot of others do.

I also have a slew of other GE's & have measured their gains and tried several in the FF & can say that SOME are "close" & sound OK but those damn NKT275's have some magic going on :wink:

I will let the cat out of the bag:
The guy from Digitron metioned several boutique pedal & mic pre amp builders that use his/these trannys... I have a Fullclone FF ('69) in front of me right now that definitly has the Digitron NKT275's & sounds GREAT!
He also said there is only one schematic/version of the NKT275... it's the process that "may" differ from brand to brand (like a 5532) but that's about the only difference.

These boutique pedals sell for close to $180 - $250 depending on whos version you like.

I'm posting this info because these guys know something "most" others do not... that they (good quality & sounding NKT275's) are available to those that need or want them. "Custom made" my ass.

I kid you not when I say I got 2 quotes over $50 for a matched pair for a FF :shock: ... I know how to measure them so $60 for 10 ain't bad.

BTW, the 275's also sound killer in a Range-Master.

Hope someone gets something out of this info besides me :green:

Kevin

Kevin

I understand your point about the right Ge. One Ge ff I built, I tested >20 Ge transistors to find two good ones(this was years ago before all the stuff was posted on the web it was lepers abode,Jacks site DMZ, R.Gs site and maybe ampage effects and a few other sites IIRC. Also selling effect parts on the web was just beginning).

I have built a few FFs over the years I do like the Ge sound sometimes(with a well set up Ge FF). I have worked at building Si based ones. Some of my schematics are at Aron's.

Have you built a miss piggy style one? That is an interesting circuit One of the few "new" cool things on the web about effects(not clones). I think it might have been inspired by the Plate to Plate Ge FF writeup. I have not built one but it is on my list of things to build.

Ed thanks for the information

Gus,
Yea, I've got a pile of GE's that just weren't right myself.
If you haven't heard the NKT275's you owe it to yourself to try them... hands down the best I've heard yet. The gains should be close to matched @ around 90 hfe.

Thanks for the tip on the miss piggy... I will check that out :thumb:

I was going to try the AXIS FACE SILICON one next.
If you haven't seen the Fuzz Central site check it out, very cool guy with some great projects & info:

http://fuzzcentral.tripod.com/axisfacesi.html

Kevin

thanks for the info Kevin. There are "fakes" selling on ebay. Are these digitron the real deal? I believe the fulltone ones aren't exactly the ones analogman uses? I think analogman has pictures of the correct ones to use.
http://www.analogman.com/fuzzface.htm

So is digitron selling you ones in the right gain range? or a random pick?

I've been looking for these for awhile too.
If you wanna sell me a pair so i see what they sound like, lemme know.
Thanks!
:thumb:

Latest posts

Back