tac scorpion, or soundcraft 1600?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soundcraft 1600 vs. TAC scorpion

• totally the soundcraft

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • go the TAC

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mfdu

what do people think?

both 24 ch. the tac scorpion is a 16/2, the soundcraft is an 8/2. both with TT patchbay and full looms.

the soundcraft could be a third the cost.

far as i can tell, they both use tl072's, and the soundcraft also uses ne5532's.

please discuss. . .

chris.

hi chris!

how bout the mci desk??

i think it depends on whether u want to mix on a console or in the box....

talk to serge at audio oz.... he might have something like that too.

still havent forgotten about our mic shootout, how is the next few weeks for you? (ive got school holidays)

peace

he he he - you do get around, don't you? cheeky rabbit.

spoke to serge - will call him again when we're closer to our moving date.

mci would be great. money would be required. dont know how much i'll have after double-glazing.

i hadn't seen my signature for so long i'd forgotten it. makes me larf.
hey 'spacecho' - what you hiding behind? fill in your profile!

chris
(and proud of it)

I always noticed that the Soundcraft had better internal wiring/ construction than the Tac. The topology of the Tac is also denser, by twice, and the quality of the boards is not as good as the Soundcraft. It tends to get lifted traces when re-capping. The simplicity of the Soundcraft trumps any AMEK EQ or extra function of the TAC, IMHO.

MCI? If you want the best sound of the three, a HUGE maintenance headache, and 200% higher electricity costs, then go for it.
Oh, and if it has the plasma bargraph meters, even bigger PITA.
Mike

good good.

i'm getting the idea folks have nothing really bad to say about older soundcraft units. that's in contrast to some comments i've heard about TAC's 'sound'.

it's all coming together.

chris.

chris-0

how about looking at it like this-

Neither board is probably going to be the most amazing thing ever made. Neither is totally horrible either. Imagine that in either scenario that you may want to do some custom work to the console. If you get the soundcraft you'll have 2/3's of your budget to spend on upgrading the thing be it chips, new caps, adding transformers, adding new power supplies or changing the circuit entirely. I think both would probably need some kind of tweaker attention to get maximum performance in tweakerville and in stock condition the TAC is more than likely not going to sound 2/3 time greater than the soundcraft and it most certainly doesnt have 2/3 times the street cred, at least not in my circles. You are paying for more features in the TAC, and perhaps rightly so, but if you can get by with the smaller bussing of the soundcraft for the money you would have in the TAC "out of the box" you could probably use to improve the soundcraft into something insane if you went a full custom route with it. Thats definitely the way Id be looking at it presuming the assumption that they are both in similar condition and ultimately sound similar as well.

dave

i hear ya, soundguy. i'm a tweaker, and i'm looking at being able to tweak the console.

already browsed the threads relating to modding these consoles, and by all reports the soundcraft really benefits for a bit of attention.

so yes, i will look into replacing opamps, star grounding and loving it and patting it and caring for it for ever and ever.

or at least, that's my cunning plan.

chris.

Back