Searching for Neve BA192 Schematic (for Neve 2254)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ian MacGregor

Hey there,
Now that summer is here, I am starting my summer project. I have decided to build a copy of the Neve 2254 Compressor. I already have all the transformers in my possession, so I need to get/build the 4 BA*** cards. I have found schematics for the BA191, 283 (obviously), and the BA185, but I cannot find the schematic for the BA192. I have searched google as well as this forum but haven't found anything yet. Does anyone have a link/scan/etc???

As soon as I start on designed boards, collecting parts, and assembling the damn thing I will start a big thread with pics and stuff.

Oh yeah, does anyone know the difference between a BA183 and 283 off the top of their head??

Thanks,
Ian

I might have it in my 2254 manual. I will check. The 283 is smaller than the 183, as you probably know. I am sure there are other differences too but I have used both models in my Neve equipment and I can´t hear any difference in the way they sound.

B192.jpg

Woohoo!!

Thanks for the schematic Peter! As soon as I get home from the studio, I'm gonna save it on my drive.

Does anyone know the value of the attenuators (or pots) used in the compressor (limit amount, comp thresh, etc.) I'm going to be using ELMA 24 pos stepped switches as stepped pots, but I need to know the overall value that they need to be.

Ian

Interesting.

Hey Ian, how is the GR accomplished?
It´s a diode bridge. right?

Good luck with your summer project. :thumb:

[quote author="Ian MacGregor"]I believe the GR is accomplished by varying the bias through a diode bridge which acts as an attenuator. I'm still trying to figure out exactly how it works.

Ian[/quote]

If you can read German, there's some info here:
http://www.gyraf.dk/schematics/Siemens_U273_Limiter.pdf

It's just the first link that came to mind, there's a lot more out there about this topic.

Just curious w.r.t. 2254 vs 33609. I saw nice & complete circuit-info in the 33609-manuals, so was wondering why you're going for the 2254. That might be obvious to those in the know about these circuits, but I haven't ever done anything with diode-bridge attenuators myself.

http://www.ams-neve.com/html/downloads/outboard/33609J.pdf

Regards,

Peter

[quote author="clintrubber"]
Just curious w.r.t. 2254 vs 33609. I saw nice & complete circuit-info in the 33609-manuals, so was wondering why you're going for the 2254. [/quote]

I know, I saw the whole collection of 33609 stuff, but I guess I am a glutton for punishment, I really wanna go all out and make the fully discrete, class-A (buzzwords, I know) comp. My game plan is to design very accurate PCB versions of the four smaller BA boards, a front panel PCB for Elma 24pos switches, as well as a motherboard PCB that the smaller boards plug into. I know it is a large project to undertake, but I'm going to go for it.

[quote author="Ian MacGregor"][quote author="clintrubber"]
Just curious w.r.t. 2254 vs 33609. I saw nice & complete circuit-info in the 33609-manuals, so was wondering why you're going for the 2254. [/quote]

I know, I saw the whole collection of 33609 stuff, but I guess I am a glutton for punishment, I really wanna go all out and make the fully discrete, class-A (buzzwords, I know) comp.
I know it is a large project to undertake, but I'm going to go for it.[/quote]
Sounds fine !

I don't have the 33609-plans around here & just for my understanding, how many non-A stages are there in that version ? IIRIC the output-amp, but I don't recall other stages.
But I might have been distracted by the 'balanced CFP' after the diode-bridge - for some reason I'm always pleased to see that topology.

but I guess I am a glutton for punishment,
:wink:

Enjoy !

Peter

[quote author="Ian MacGregor"] My game plan is to design very accurate PCB versions of the four smaller BA boards, a front panel PCB for Elma 24pos switches, as well as a motherboard PCB that the smaller boards plug into.[/quote]

Is there any reason why you are sticking with that form factor?

If you were designing a completely new product with four amplifiers, would you put each amp on its own board and then have a motherboard for it to plug into?

In a console, that makes a lot of sense, I could never see the return on the effort for doing that with rack gear.

dave

hmmm... Been thinking about that Dave. For one, it breaks up the work a little bit. I can work on the smaller boards individually. I think part of me just wants to do it like Neve did (and I know that Neve didn't have motherboards, it was hand wired but...??). I don't know, I guess I really don't have any great reasons. As I am still in the dreaming/planning stage, my layout might change.

How would you rather approach it? One large board, right? Would you keep the original layouts (of the BA cards) intact, just all on the same PCB?

Ian

If you are building it to use it, I would just completely redesign the thing. I would put it on one big board and not worry about it. All the trimmers on the back could go on the board and there are lots of creative mods to do or not do, whatever. Just seems like a really odd form factor to keep which is why I asked. If it was that 990 opamp footprint, thats one thing but keeping neve's plugin format for one off's seems like more work than its worth.

dave

Hello I'm also making a clone of the 2254.
On my site there are some PCB Layout of the BA192, BA191, BA185 and BA283.

www.str-electronics.com

under : projects->studio->2254

Maybe it is usefull ?
:grin:

Gr Marc

Latest posts

Back