Searching for Neve BA192 Schematic (for Neve 2254)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, are there really 4 pieces of iron in the signal path ? No wonder it's supposed to sound good :green:
Anyway would be cool to see this growing into a nice project. I guess there are some people interested in this compressor.
Good luck :thumb:

Flo

[quote author="Infernal_Death"]Wow, are there really 4 pieces of iron in the signal path ? No wonder it's supposed to sound good :green:
[/quote]
If I spotted it correctly the fourth TX is in the sidechain.
(We could have long debates of course about whether a certain component is or isn't in the signal path :wink: )

The 33609 has 'only' three TXs, all 'in the signal path'.

Regards,

Peter

[quote author="clintrubber"][quote author="Infernal_Death"]Wow, are there really 4 pieces of iron in the signal path ? No wonder it's supposed to sound good :green:
[/quote]
(We could have long debates of course about whether a certain component is or isn't in the signal path :wink: )

Regards,

Peter[/quote]

Oh you are right. Well three transformers still is a lot of iron. I don't think this will be a cheap build (then again which neve is cheap to build? (neve ic preamp excluded))

Flo

[quote author="Infernal_Death"][quote author="clintrubber"][quote author="Infernal_Death"]Wow, are there really 4 pieces of iron in the signal path ? No wonder it's supposed to sound good :green:
[/quote]

Regards,

Peter[/quote]

Oh you are right. Well three transformers still is a lot of iron. I don't think this will be a cheap build (then again which neve is cheap to build? (neve ic preamp excluded))

Flo[/quote]
Going all the way w.r.t. components will of course be the best thing to do - once the decision has been made to spend the time & effort.

But when looking at the 33609-circuit there's still that nagging feeling that an 'economy'-version could result in an interesting pice of gear. There have been previous suggestions & talks about using OEP-TXs and with a little imagination & some small corners cut the de-luxe switches could be replaced by Lorlins. Once that is solved it's straight ahead: low-cost parts: just caps, resistors & discrete transistors (but lots of them :wink: ). Throw all that on a single PCB (including the TXs & Lorlins) and mount it parallel to the frontpanel, add XLRs & a power-TX and there you have it.

But as said: it'll require some time & effort, so once at it why not spend that bit more & have the 'real' beast.

BTW, note I haven't ever been close to any of the 2254- or 33609-incarnations. I understood all sound a little bit different, but to which I extend I don't know.

Regards,

Peter

[quote author="clintrubber"]BTW, note I haven't ever been close to any of the 2254- or 33609-incarnations. I understood all sound a little bit different, but to which I extend I don't know.

Regards,

Peter[/quote]

I have them both and they sound very different. The 2254 is darker and slower and the 33609 is faster and seem to add something nice in the high mids.

its the difference between a 1073 and a 1081, the 2254 is built around a 283, the 33609 uses a 440. There's lots more to add but that should be enough to give you a rough picture.

dave

[quote author="echorec"][quote author="clintrubber"]BTW, note I haven't ever been close to any of the 2254- or 33609-incarnations. I understood all sound a little bit different, but to which I extend I don't know.

Regards,

Peter[/quote]

I have them both and they sound very different. The 2254 is darker and slower and the 33609 is faster and seem to add something nice in the high mids.[/quote]

Thanks for the added info. I hadn't had a good look at both of these, was thinking they were quite alike. But indeed, their schematics are not really identical. Hadn't noticed that 4th TX in the 2254 before - looking at the 33609 with cloning-eyes, those three over there seemed enough already :wink:

[quote author="echorec"]...and both will give you the "sounds-like-a-record" reward when used on the 2buss. Just two very different records... :wink:[/quote]
Hmm, please don't say things like this, the soldering won't ever stop like this :wink:

But to avoid stacking up of boxes that have alike stuff on board, one may get tempted to see how far one could come by tackling this 2254-thing as one 'regular' Neve-BA283-based preamp and see what needs to be added. I doubt it'd be worth while though and give all kinds of hassle, but it will be an interesting puzzle.
So add the sidechain, the input-TX and diode-bridge & buffers & then jump over to the pre-amp-input...

This comparable with other projects around here, like for instance a passive summer plus gainmakeup can be made from a resistor-network and a decent mic-pre. etc.
Call be a cheap b*stard, but just let's call this a modular approach :wink: I'm not a studio so have little interest in stacking up boxes that have alike guts.

Regards,

Peter

[quote author="Ian MacGregor"]Awesome! I opened them up and they look fantastic! Nice work.

Now for me to get some stuff done...

Ian[/quote]

Yeah, lot of work into that sweet nice round artwork!
Share some picture's of the development of the project.

I think it's nicer to make the clone of the real 2254 then make a combination of the 2254 and the 33609.
A 2254 is much more worth than the 33609, so it's easy to make the choice.

[quote author="STR"]
A 2254 is much more worth than the 33609, so it's easy to make the choice.[/quote]

not really the case in the US.

dave

[quote author="soundguy"][quote author="STR"]
A 2254 is much more worth than the 33609, so it's easy to make the choice.[/quote]

not really the case in the US.

dave[/quote]

Ohw hmm strange, I wonder why ?
Bud that is the fun of DIY you can choose for yourself what to build.
I just like to build the original, bud whit DIY you can modify just the way you like it.

Ok, I'm getting into this project and I have a quick question. Looking at the overall comp schematic on Marc's page ( http://www.xs4all.nl/~theostr/str-electronics/DIY/PDF/Studio/2254Sch.pdf )

Check out the BA283 stage. There is a pin marked 'R' and as far as I can tell, there is no R on a BA283 card. One guess I have is that there are a couple of unused pins on the 283 and they used one (called R) to have a point to tack parts on, since these were built PTP (right?). If this is the case, then the unbalanced output of the comp is attenuated and sent to the limiter. Any ideas??

Ian

[quote author="Ian MacGregor"]Ok, I'm getting into this project and I have a quick question. Looking at the overall comp schematic on Marc's page ( http://www.xs4all.nl/~theostr/str-electronics/DIY/PDF/Studio/2254Sch.pdf )

Check out the BA283 stage. There is a pin marked 'R' and as far as I can tell, there is no R on a BA283 card. One guess I have is that there are a couple of unused pins on the 283 and they used one (called R) to have a point to tack parts on, since these were built PTP (right?). If this is the case, then the unbalanced output of the comp is attenuated and sent to the limiter. Any ideas??

Ian[/quote]

Yep, the pin remarked 'R' is indeed a unused pin of the BA283.
They used it to mount the resistor to, that's correct.
There are three unused pins on the BA283 called 'E', 'H' and 'R'.
Yes the unbalanced output of the BA283 are send to the limiter site chain and attenuated with an amount of approximately 20 dB.

Does anyone still have acces to this cards? Would be really apreciated. Thanks!

STR said:
Hello I'm also making a clone of the 2254.
On my site there are some PCB Layout of the BA192, BA191, BA185 and BA283.

www.str-electronics.com

under : projects->studio->2254

Maybe it is usefull ?
:grin:

Gr Marc

Back