Pots and knobs are driving me mad! Need Help!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matta

Guys,

I'm going to go crazy... or potty (in light of this post that may be the most appropriate adjective).

I'm sitting with a a predicament.

I'm building a pre that requires a pot, one source has a 6mm T18 splined shaft, which would be PERFECT, except for the fact I'm looking at using nice aluminum, or aluminum coated knobs and they tend to be milled for 6.35 (1/4?) shafts, and experience tells me if you use a 6.35mm knob on a 6mm shaft the knob is off access when you rotate it.

Now I know I could use tape around the pot to make up the extra size, but it isn't a neat solution.

I've not seen many 6mm Aluminum or Aluminum Coated knobs with a 6mm shaft, under $5 a knob, and I'm looking at around $3 a knob.

I could custom order them with T18 shafts, but then I'd need to order 1,000 knobs... not going to happen... unless I sense a Group Buy, Hah Hah.

Anyone know is T32 splined 6mm knobs fit T18 shafts?

I'm going crazy...

Unless anyone can tell me where to get a nice 16mm 10K Rev Log Pot that requires a panel hole of around 7mm, with a 1/4" shaft?

Thanks for ANY help you might be able to give.

Cheers

Matt

Matt
If you use Sifam knobs - the collets are interchangeable
It drove me crazy until the collet popped out of a one day and I thought - hang on - if I take this 6 1/4" collett from another knob - duh!! bingo! lightbulb!
Now - i just keep the knobs separately from the collets
For info - one size is bronze coloured - the other size is brass coloured

Don't know if that helsp you with your knobs though - but if they use collets - you may be in luck

Thanks,

Sadly they are Grub Screw types :sad:

I really want to use an aluminum knob, which ups the costs, but looks oh so sexy with a black panel and blue LED's...

I will remember that about the Sifams for future projects though, good tip.

Cheers

Matt

I'd maybe just use a shim as a more elegant way of making the shaft wider on one side - ie. use a 0.35/2 mm shim on the shaft side opposite the side which the grub screw hits.

Otherwise, cough up the cash and get what you need.

My knobs were £2.50 each..... Wait a second, I didn't check what size they were.... Uh oh. Better go and check!

All this talk of shafts, screws and knobs.... Dirty buggers.

Otherwise, cough up the cash and get what you need.

Roddy, Are you calling me cheap! Just wait one minute, I resemble that remark! I mean... well.. ah crap :green:

My knobs were £2.50 each..... Wait a second, I didn't check what size they were.... Uh oh. Better go and check!

Hah hah, best you do before you end up in my shoes :)

Cheers

Matt

[quote author="matta"]
blue LED's...
[/quote]
That's your problem right there
Blue LEDs - they are soooo 2005
Now.. Violet LEDs.. they are do damn sexy

lol!

[quote author="matta"]
,Unless anyone can tell me where to get a nice 16mm 10K Rev Log Pot that requires a panel hole of around 7mm, with a 1/4" shaft?
[/quote]
Does thit fit the bill?
http://www.banzaieffects.com/product.php?productid=15615&cat=400&page=1

But are Alpha Carbon pots what you are after?

[quote author="uk03878"]Blue LEDs - they are soooo 2005
[/quote]

I agree.

I often say this when I go to a swanky (read wanky) bar and there are blue lights.... What's the need?

I think they're more 2000 than 2005.

I haven't seen these violet ones yet though. I suppose whiteones would be a bit shit.

[quote author="uk03878"]
That's your problem right there
Blue LEDs - they are soooo 2005
Now.. Violet LEDs.. they are do damn sexy

lol![/quote]

(with a lisp) Yeah, I can't WAIT to see the new spring 2007 LED collection from Versace. I hear they're going to be dark-goldenrod-paisley!!!

:wink: :green:

Guys,

Okay, you ALL go ahead and get your swanky Violet LED's...

But you see I'm brighter than you, cause if they (blue) are so 2000 then it will only increase the value of my pre as it make me more 'vintage' by at least 5 years than your swanky Violet LED's, so I'll fetch a higher price on Ebay, LOL!!!

UK, as you posted your Banzai I found the same thing at Small Bear:

Knobs: http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=546
Pots: http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=116

I have nothing against Alphas, I've used them in my SSL Buss Comp and almost all my mic pres, both those modules I've racked an DIY, and used their Lorlins clones as well.

I think people think Taiwan, China and think cheap, and sure they are not Clarostat or Omegs, but do the job well and reliable.

Thanks again to everyone for the help.

I'll keep you updated as the saga for the pots and knobs continue...

Cheers

Matt

Latest posts

Back