salvaging old parts and identifying power tx's

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enthalpystudios

So I went to this salvage place and found a few 2u pieces of gear that could be reused, paid like 5 bucks a piece for them.

Anyway, I'm planning on building a pair of nydave one-bottles into one of them, and I opened it to gut it out, and it just happens to be a tube, pcb/turret hyrbrid, "constant current power supply."

Electronic Measurements I believe is the manufacturer.

Anyway, It's got a great big power transformer, mounted right in the middle, and with metal barriers on either side of it. Seems perfect.... I think to myself, if I'm lucky I can just use this psu, or at least the transformer.

So how could I figure out what the transformer is wound for? Would it be best to attempt to fire it up, and try and measure dc voltage off of its (solidstate) rectifier?

any ideas for a newb would be great

thanks,

Billy

Sounds like you are on the right track. I like to measure before the rectifier, the AC v at the secondary. Depending on what type of rectification is used, the DC voltages derived can be quite different. Try to see if there is a center tap, an extra lead coming off the secondary to ground, although if its clearly a fullwave rectifier (4 term) then it wasn't used center-tapped so it probably doesn't have one. If you are sure you have located the first diode after the input AC, then you can meter the DC off that, but that info is easily derived once you know the secondary ACV.

Congrats on scoring some nice enclosures. :thumb:

sounds good.... it definitely has a 4 diode rectifier.... it was driving some odd tubes thats for sure.

yeah good find however, it turned out to have the same spacing for mounting holes as a parmetal case, so I can reuse a par front panel. The other 2 are close enough to make work with a washer at the back. Those things were some type of solid state stuff, but there are a couple of nice 4x12 rotarys inside each which is kinda cool.

i'll have to investigate this further.... my original, but now B, plan is to use the 'spare' psu card from the g9 and just use a couple toroids like the g9..... all dc and regulated and what not. one way or the other, its gettin done.... those nyd one bottles seem pretty cool. and i have a couple O-1's for the input as well

billy

Latest posts

Back