G9 with a difference THANKS to JLM This Baby Kicks Butt

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

giantbenny

Hey Everybody Get a Load of this

I decided to build up a single channel G9 and do some transformer swaps, take some measurements etc.

I called Joe Malone JLM {Daddy Animal (Baby's Dad)} and ordered a few transformers to AB with the Lundahl I already had.

The Building Process went very smoothly, no probs or set backs. I Started off with the Lundahl, I was Pretty Impressed, tonally it was warm and clean, although it was pretty quiet. Then I tried the Oep, it was a bit better, still smooth but with a bit more punch maybe an extra 1 or 2 db, nice colour and minimal distortion.

Then I tried the JLM DC, AND I DAMN NEAR FELL OFF MY CHAIR, IT SOUNDED SUPERB, the difference was like that of a v7680 and a b*hringer tube comp*ser.

under load, we pulled an extra 12 db from it, and again thanks to more advice by Joe, I changed the 4u7 250 to a 20u 400 and opened up the bottom end.

This is the best combination i have seen yet, sorry i'm not being extremely techo'ish. but i when i do, i only sound like an intern in a room full of neurosurgeons.

But i do know sound and this baby sings. I miked up a guitar afterwards and to be expected, it sounded great too.

I'll get some pics posted tomorrow, it is messy as hell but it fired up first go.

cheers,

PICT1380_800.jpg

PICT1381_800.jpg

PICT1383_800.jpg

I am still contemplating different pres to DIY. Would you be so kind and share how much $$$ for such a G9 project. You can give me the price without the case though.

And some pictures please!!! :grin:p

[quote author="Purusha"]I am still contemplating different pres to DIY. Would you be so kind and share how much $$$ for such a G9 project. You can give me the price without the case though.

And some pictures please!!! :grin:p[/quote]

You might want to consider another just as valid project, the newyorkdave MILA-1, or the two-bottle. Price would range somewhere around 70-200e per channel, depending on quality of caps, tube availability and transformers used (and wether you want to stay unbalanced) etc.

Sounds interesting! I've been thinking about changing the output caps to higher quality/value.. Looking forward to seeing the pix.

Corneel

[quote author="evan38109"]I'm curious: how would you describe the difference in sound with the JLM?

- E[/quote]

The difference is not small put it that way, the JLM seems to open the back door and let the breeze flow through, tonally it is more open and transparent, drives very well, distortion levels are decreased and it sounds very warm without the artifacts. On vocals it is very breathy and full, and on guitar it has just the right amount of warmth to make it sound as if you are right next to it.

hope that helps

Are you using the same components as per schematic other than a big fat 20u400V and JLM transformer. Have you changed anything else? I assume that's a OEP262A3E on the input?

[quote author="ChrioN"]Nice layout btw. Making room for some vu meters? :thumb:[/quote]

yeah, i do love vu's i'm just going to build up a simple metre driver circuit, and parrallel it switchable between input and output.

thanks

[quote author="mikeyB"]Are you using the same components as per schematic other than a big fat 20u400V and JLM transformer. Have you changed anything else? I assume that's a OEP262A3E on the input?[/quote]

yeah thats right, the only other difference is that i am using 12ax7 (lps) tubes, they have measured up better than the ecc82s

ben

Back