SmProAudio OC8 8ch Opto Compressor

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adky

Dear all:
Anyone got a OC8? any comments? or Mod idea?
PS:
Basically it got total of 4 OPamps in each channel
1x 072 on the i/o board
2x 072
1x 4558
1x Transistor 2SA8050 for the input stage
any then a lot of junk Caps around 47uf
sounded OPTO but in a BAD WAY over bright HIGHs , distored LOWs
sounds like a Bass Stomp Box Compressor :grin:

Ok! here we go , the pict is not so good but should be able to see the thing... I hope
oc8-01.jpg

oc8-02.jpg

oc8-03.jpg

oc8-04.jpg

Thanks!

i have one that I have been using for nearly two years in my studio. i think its a great comp for its price and limited control ("compression", which affects the threshold and ratio and "gain", plus switches for fast/slow on attack and release). I really like mine and have used it for Bass Gtr, Ac Gtr (going lightly) and lead vocals. I have nothing negative to say about its sound quality. I have not found a need to even swap opamps.

One thing that bugged me when I opened it for the first time: the little black plastic tubes linking the LEDs with the LDRs (shown there in pict04 on the left side) just kinda float there and could easily come off. I'd recommend opening up the unit to make sure of their location before using one.

I have wondered if Vactrols would be any more expensive than the LED/LDR/plastic tube arrangement. It would be a lot more consistent.

YMMV
Charlie

Anyone got a OC8? any comments? or Mod idea?

Its difficult without knowing what the circuit looks like (schem.?), BUT.....
Seeing as your probably (looks like one led per. ldr) dealing with a rectified CV, it should be fairly easy to play around with the timeconstant´s.

In the absence of rectified CV: switch to different LDR´s.

As far as the signalpath goes...well, unless the designer have done something "stupid" the fet-opamps should be fairly transparent.

Latest posts

Back