SSL buss comp chassis quickie question

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Not_So_New

Okay, make that 2 questions.

1) I have built a rack of 7 Seventh Circle Audio A12's. The SSL buss comp does not look to be much harder than that if I can find all the parts and pieces, am I right?

2) Where can I go to get a chassis for the project? I don't want to mess around with punching out holes for the pots and meters etc, I would just like to find some place that will make one up for me. I understand that there are companies that will do this but I don't know the dimensions of the pot placement etc.

I guess you can tell from the rambling post that I am pretty confused on the subject. How do I go about getting a chassis for the project? What do most folks do and what is the easiest soltuion? I don't mind paying a little more to get this part of the job done for me in a quality and timely manner.

Thanks in advance.

1. Yes... it is pretty straight forward. Im sure a lot of people started their career in DIY with a GSSL. Sourcing all the parts is probably the most irritating and time consuming part of the project... like every project.

2. http://www.frontpanelexpress.com/ in the USA or http://www.schaeffer-ag.de/ in europe will engrave and drill your panels if you wish. You need to download their software called Frontpanel Designer.

Once you have the software people like Frank from NRGrecording have been kind enough to host some frontpaneldesigner files.

Take a look at http://www.nrgrecording.de/html/schaeffer.html Download the file and open it with the frontpaneldeisgner software. The hole spacing are right but you can change the font with you like... you may also need to change the meter hole size to match your meter or the four holes that secure the panel to the front of the rack case.

There are two files, one with sidechain filter and one without. The sidechain switch is achieved by a mod. You can buy the PCB's for a few bucks from Greg in the black market if he has any left.

the Meta-Meta is a useful link... It is located up near the search function and includes an index of threads and infomation. Just open it and hit the SSL clones link.

hi not-so-new,
welcome to the LAB. once you build your GSSL there is no escape! :twisted:
sammas has already given you some great places to start, just to add...
you can get quality and very well priced chassis from par-metal:
http://www.par-metal.com/index.htm
if you're getting your front panels fabbed at a place like FPE then you can request no front panel or chassis handles when you order from par-metal.
(i think i just mentioned this in another thread :? )
this is convenient for those of us in the USA, but i'm not sure where you are located (might want to add your locale in your profile so it would be easier for people to help you).
And as Sammas already stated, the meta-meta pages are the best place to start.
happy diy!!
regards,
grant
edit: just remembered that Purusha is selling pre-fabbed gssl front panels and chassis. check in the black market.

[quote author="Not_So_New"]Okay, make that 2 questions.

1) I have built a rack of 7 Seventh Circle Audio A12's. The SSL buss comp does not look to be much harder than that if I can find all the parts and pieces, am I right?

[/quote]

Ok....I'm a newbie as well. I've built both the GSSL and the SCA N72. Honestly....if you take your time they are both cake. Very straight foward builds. You'll have a few questions, but overall they are easy as long as you take your time and do everything correct the first time.

I'd say the SCA stuff is easier because you have detailed instructions and there isn't much left to question.

Great guys... thanks so much.

Dissonantstring I am from Pittsburgh PA (I will edit my profile if I think of it, good idea).

So you are saying there is a guy on the blackmarket forum that is selling the chassis ready to go? That would be even easier. Anyone know the name of that thread (I bet it is easy but... you know).

:grin:

Latest posts

Back