SSL clone buss compressor....is it do-able?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it really possible to build an authentic sounding SSL buss compressor? I understand that for example if you're trying to build an LA2a you have to use a few different components as some are obviously not made anymore.

However since the SSL is much newer I presume it uses stock parts that in theory should be available.

I want to get that SSL sound but without the SSL price tag - am I dreaming?!!

[quote author="Wing Commander"]
I want to get that SSL sound but without the SSL price tag - am I dreaming?!![/quote]

No, but that's not the point in doing DIY. You should hopefully be doing DIY because you love electronics and projects!

You will definately be able to build a VCA stereo compressor with or without a sidechain HPF filter and with/without a proper bypass switch
The circuit was inspired by the SSL mix buss compressor

The Gssl with a That 2150 in the sidechain and a set of gold can Dbx 202's pushes all the right buttons here. Does a really good take on the E series comp.

You could do a shootout between say, the SSL Xlogic G series, a late 90's Gray SSL G384, Al Smart C1 and the C2. They will all have differences and similarities... but all do a great job across the mix.

[quote author="Wing Commander"]Is it really possible to build an authentic sounding [/quote]

What I always wonder is why youd want to build anything exactly the same when you can improve it in some way. Ive never used a piece of gear that I thought was perfect, and to be honest, trying to recreate old gear exactly is usually a thankless task...

M@

[quote author="mattmoogus"]
What I always wonder is why youd want to build anything exactly the same when you can improve it in some way. Ive never used a piece of gear that I thought was perfect, and to be honest, trying to recreate old gear exactly is usually a thankless task...

M@[/quote]

Well I agree with that - I'll settle for a better spec - anyone want to build me one as I don't trust myself!

Nope, this is all DIY, as in Do It Yourself.

Not to be confused with Do In Yourself, which is easy if you start of sticking your fingers in wall sockets or with tubes without understanding the basic of electricity :green:

But don't let that scare you, if I can do it, anyone can, but to get the most out of it think of it a lifelong investment, not a once off project.

Matt

[quote author="mattmoogus"][quote author="Wing Commander"]Is it really possible to build an authentic sounding [/quote]

M@[/quote]

And I would say the answer to that is... when you use a certain piece of gear you kind of know what to expect right? I insert an 1176 on a vocal track I know that is has a "sound" I can associate it with.

When someone has never heard a DIY SSL comp they don't know what to compare it to. I know what an SSL comp sounds like but the question was "Is it really possible to build an authentic sounding SSL buss compressor?"

That is exactly what I am wondering. I know what a SSL sounds like, is that what I will expect to hear from a DIY version? Making it better by "improving it" might sound good to you (I think your points are valid) but to someone else it raises questions. I don't mind a little improvement here and there but I don't want to stray too far from the original sound.

For us newbies there is the question of "is the time and energy spent worth the payoff" and the only thing we have to judge that against without investing the time or energy is how close to the original does the DIY sound....

hey wing commander,
the ever generous Jakob E. is the designer of the GSSL project so do as he says and build it yourself!!
you will never regret it. the GSSL was my 4th diy project and in retrospect should have been my first. great sounding and easy to build.

as far as matta's comments...don't listen to him, he's crazy (look as his avatar!) :green:

sure you'll have questions as you build, but please read through the GSSL build thread first in the meta-meta pages and try to find out the answers by reading first. after that do a search on the forum and read more, after that if you still have a question, then i'm sure there are many here on this great forum who'll help you out.
regards,
grant

[quote author="DerEber"]For example.
I LOVE soldering...
so time and energy is always woth it!!!
:cool:
this sounds to me like a right way, Isn´t it?[/quote]

Well, I LOVE recording and while soldering is okay by me it keeps me away from what I really want to do, that is record something....

:green:

[quote author="DerEber"]Well, I LOVE recording and while soldering is okay by me it keeps me away from what I really want to do, that is record something....[/quote]
This is a valid point... for many there's a give a take between recording and building recording gear. If you really don't have a passion for DIY, or just plan to build one project, I'd recommend not getting into DIY. Just buy something.

Please don't take this as a bad thing... for some, the GSSL winds up being an easy project. On the other hand, I've seen people beating their heads in for weeks searching for problems.

wing commander, if you know the sound of SSL consoles and like it, then disregard my comments but if you are just trusting the hype about those consoles you might want to try to listen to one of those things before you bother to build one. Its a usable compressor, but the way people talk about that box you'd think it was the holy grail and it rarely if ever gets used in my studio. This is largely a taste issue of course but there are plenty of way more usable things to look at. I would sooner insert a rock into my head than insert that limiter on a mix buss... The sound of all the shitty modern records that I hate is directly tied to that stupid shitty sounding ssl limiter. As for the gyraf project, it can completely sound every bit like what you'd expect out of a real ssl limiter. Any major differences between the real thing and your DIY sonically are due to component selection, not the design of the gyraf project. Some folks have come here complaining that their box didnt sound anything like a real ssl limiter while they completely ignored component selection and stuck in there what they thought would be good sounding parts, use different caps and duh, its gonna sound different. Hopefully thats helpful. Build a few small things and then tackle the limiter, its easy to build and not difficult to trouble shoot once you get your feet wet.

dave

I have to agree. If you don't have the time or desire to build one, just save your pennies and buy the real deal. No shame in that. SSL makes great stuff and they would be glad to sell you one.

Personally, I don't record everyday and don't get paid for what I record, so I have time to build stuff and the savings are good for me. But for the guy working six 12 hour days a week, I'd say buy one.

Matt

I would say build it, you can't buy the joy and pleasure that happen
when you have finished an audio gear that works and sounds good

[quote author="soundguy"]wing commander, if you know the sound of SSL consoles and like it, then disregard my comments but if you are just trusting the hype about those consoles you might want to try to listen to one of those things before you bother to build one. Its a usable compressor, but the way people talk about that box you'd think it was the holy grail and it rarely if ever gets used in my studio. This is largely a taste issue of course but there are plenty of way more usable things to look at. I would sooner insert a rock into my head than insert that limiter on a mix buss... The sound of all the shitty modern records that I hate is directly tied to that stupid shitty sounding ssl limiter. As for the gyraf project, it can completely sound every bit like what you'd expect out of a real ssl limiter. Any major differences between the real thing and your DIY sonically are due to component selection, not the design of the gyraf project. Some folks have come here complaining that their box didnt sound anything like a real ssl limiter while they completely ignored component selection and stuck in there what they thought would be good sounding parts, use different caps and duh, its gonna sound different. Hopefully thats helpful. Build a few small things and then tackle the limiter, its easy to build and not difficult to trouble shoot once you get your feet wet.

dave[/quote]

Dave, you say you don't use yours - I assume you also built yours using the same components as an original SSL comp - is that correct?

Is yours the Gyraf project one?

If so, does yours sound exactly like an SSL one albeit you don't care for the sound of the SSL?

I think what Dave is trying to say is this.
If you build it yourself with care and select the right components, it will sound as good as the real thing. But before you build it, you should give a listen to the original SSL, because it is not sure you will like it. Dave do not like/find useful the sound of the SSL comp, so he don't use it much.

Personally I like/find useful the sound of SSL comp, but it is not a universal tool. It is good for some applications and it is not for others.
Conclusion is, don't take our word as gospel, don't trust the hype, go and listen to the real thing and decide for yourself if it's worth your investment.

It is simple:
1) you like the sound of SSL comp = build one or buy one
2) you don't like the SSL comp sound = don't build or buy one

chrissugar

To answer your original question, the SSL mix compressor is one of the more popular projects on this board. Some links to get you started:

http://www.gyraf.dk/gy_pd/ssl/ssl.htm

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=110

http://gssl.rolandklinkenberg.com/

I've been about 70% of the way through mine for a few months. I need to get back on it.

Latest posts

Back