What's the best condenser mic to mod in your opinion ?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slash14

Well, first of all if this subject as already been covered but after looking at the meta thread dealing with microphones I didn't find what I'm looking for.

Lots of low-cost chinese condenser mic's are coming today.
Most of them are really crap such as the Samson C01.
Others are better like the T.Bones series.

I'd like to buy one of these low cost microphones and mod it in order to get them sound better. I know in advance that it will never sound as a U87 but I think it's a good way to start with sound recording.

So here are my 2 questions:
1/ are there any low cost chinese condenser mic worth buying ? (and which ones ;) ? )
2/ are they easily moddable ? seems that the MXL series are easy to mod but I don't know how they sound unmodded .

Thanks inadvance for all your replies.

it seems that a lot of people are having success with the MXL2001 and 2003. the 2003 has a thinner and slightly larger diaphragm almost identical on paper to the SP B1(i own 2 modded B1s which sound sweet!!). But i think the most bang for my buck came from a triplet of Oktava Mk(C)-012s that I modded. they sound nothing like they originally did now. they are cheap and easy to work on, just watch out for the cheap 1G resistors, they break so very easy!

good luck!

I've modified Oktavas, MXLs and other similar cheap condensers, and the most bang I got was from changing 4 capacitors in a MXL 2003. I'm betting that's mostly due to it having a 797 Audio capsule. Gus put a Behringer B2 capsule (also from 797) in his tube mic based on the Sony, and said it rivaled his Brauner. I'd either do the 2003 or the B2.

For LD look for 797 34mm built capsules in microphones 3 micron or 6 micron models. I bought the B2 pro to check it out, I used the mount and capsule in the 800 type microphone.

things to look at for china built capsule brand

14 screws or 18 screws

32mm or 34mm

plastic rings or brass rings

Can we change the pattern of those mics after modding them ? With a standalone PSU for example.

I've always been told that condenser mics with adjustable patterns were used to using high voltage to bias the condenser (and the inside valve most of the time).
What about these "tiny" condenser which only require 48V from the phantom power ? Could I use higher voltage with a standalone PSU to get more sensibility with these capsules ? Unless this manipulation would break the condenser ... I don't know ...

Anyway, thanks for your answers ! Keep on posting ! I'm really interested ;)

Flatpicker
I've modified Oktavas, MXLs and other similar cheap condensers, and the most bang I got was from changing 4 capacitors in a MXL 2003

Which caps? do you have a schem, or pics?

you can only have adjustable patterns if you have a dual-diaphragm mic. Most of the cheap chinese mics are cardioid only, which 99.999% of the time means that they're single diaphragm. The MXL2001/2003 are both two different capsules (the 32mm and 34mm) and they're both single diaphragm (with a dummy in the back, that's not metallized so you can't use it), so no variable patterns on those.

is the B2 a dual diaphragm mic? The 797 capsule in my 2003 is single diaphragm, if the B2 is multipattern then I may use it for my G7.

I'd LOVE to get one of these sub-$200 variable pattern tube mics with power supply I keep seeing, they're all in other countries :(

I may be wrong, but I don´t think there is a dual 797 capsule at the market today. If anyone could confirm this, or let me know of a mic that carries a dual 797 capsule, this would be very helpful...

well I looked up the B2, and literature suggests it's omni/fig8/cardioid, which suggests it's dual diaphragm,

and Gus has said that the B2 was a 797, hasn't he? Or did I just infer that :p

[quote author="RedHouse"]Which caps? do you have a schem, or pics?[/quote]Oops! I meant to say "3 capacitors". Anyway, checkout the "MXL 603s mod" thread. The 2003 has basically the same circuit, but you can use larger caps for the two .22uFs. 1uFs should fit.

[quote author="rafafredd"]I may be wrong, but I don´t think there is a dual 797 capsule at the market today...[/quote]Isn't that what's in the Studio Projects B3, C3, and T3? Both 3 and 6 micron versions.

tmbg said:
you can only have adjustable patterns if you have a dual-diaphragm mic.  Most of the cheap chinese mics are cardioid only, which 99.999% of the time means that they're single diaphragm.
Putting in a different capsule is part of modding. Dual-diaphram capsules are available on ebay for under $30.

I was thinking of buying a MXLV67G tp play with as Iv read good modding reports so far.......

Question to anyone is Behringer B1 capsule worth playing with ??...............

Thanks good luck

Latest posts

Back