Battery supplied +48v for studio

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaxLiniere

Would I be correct in saying that a bank of 4x12v SLA batteries (fused, of course) would be the ultimate phantom supply?

I mean, they totally remove the issue of supply ripple & noise.
Microphones draw so little current anyways that an overnight charge should be more than adequate for keeping the supply at 48v.
My only question is as to the source impedance, i.e. the impedance of the batteries themselves.

I'm building a new PSU for my Chilton console using Jung super regulators for the +/- 15v supply rails and the issue of upgrading the phantom supply came to mind.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

With just halfway-decent filtering (which is easy because the low currents), noise in the phantom-power is a non-issue. So I wouldn't bother about this, unless it is some kind of a mobile studio..

Jakob E.

So a standard TL783 circuit would be better in every way?

I got this idea in my head because of the idea that an amplifier can only have, at best, an output as noisy/ripply as it's power supply.

Which made sense to me because an amplifier is just modulating it's supply voltage based on the signal input.

I got this idea in my head because of the idea that an amplifier can only have, at best, an output as noisy/ripply as it's power supply.
Too easy thinking. Many amplifiers have a power supply rejection of 80 dB and more. And batteries or not noise-free, in fact they are often noisier than standard supplies (we've discussed that before, try a search). They have non ripple though.

Samuel

Oh, well I guess I don't understand. What is 'battery noise'?
(Not as in 'what does it sound like,' but what does it do/how does it manifest?)

Latest posts

Back