decent small cap brand [ less than 1 uf ] Opinions ?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okgb

need to order some different sizes for various projects ,
so wondering if anyone has arrived at an all around good
brand / type roughly from .002 to .47

also what type , polysty , the metalized , what ???

partly i'm looking for , if i had to buy allot of one kind , what would be
the best all around

tia regards Greg

I use Solens whenever I can. I like them better than Wimas, and they're slightly cheaper. You're in Canada, too, so you can buy direct from Solen and save some money on shipping/import duty.

Peace,
Al.

WIMA and Solen work good for me. Also really like Hovland Musicaps in some gear. I have also gotten good results with Sprague 716P and they're relatively inexpensive. Have heard great things about Auricaps but have not used them enough to form an opiniion yet.
If you are looking for something very smooth sounding the Jensen paper in oil are good in some circuits (I find these work best in open loop ie circuits with no global feedback where slightly more subdued highs are wanted).

[quote author="alk509"]I use Solens whenever I can. I like them better than Wimas, and they're slightly cheaper. You're in Canada, too, so you can buy direct from Solen and save some money on shipping/import duty.

Peace,
Al.[/quote]

I checked out solen, and i can't seem to find any poly's similar to wima? Are they not on the site?

Oh, no... I'm talking electrical characteristics, not shape. You need to do the old bend-a-lead trick to use them on a radial footprint.

Peace,
Al.

i'm looking at Brands , but the types or construction too !
like polyprop , or polystry , or the metalized

all opinons welcome , regars Greg

well i don't know if AP was talking about searching Prodigy ,
but i think the search function would work better if you could search
subject line only , otherwise everything mentioning capacitor shows up
including this post !

you have suggestions for using it more effectively ?

regards Greg

[quote author="okgb"]well i don't know if AP was talking about searching Prodigy ,
but i think the search function would work better if you could search
subject line only , otherwise everything mentioning capacitor shows up
including this post !

you have suggestions for using it more effectively ?[/quote]

Not to be an ass or anything, but dude, do you want someone to bring some samples to your house or something? Several specific brands came up. Search for those (yes, on this forum, but elsewhere, too). Or better yet, start reading the meta-meta and you will find THIS. Even then you will end up having to try different types in different circuits to decide what you prefer (do I sound like Soundguy or what?).

A P

p.s. Yes, I did have a long and bad day.

No problem Dude , i usually go to the washroom after my morning coffee

I really just wanted get a little survey of what people who may have more experience than me thought , as a good starting point , but like any flame it gets off topic quick .
I'm just as happy to buy things from people here based on their thoughts
[ which i have done , and has been fine ] but perhaps i should do more investigation all around [ especialy before parting with money ]

Hmm update here , i am getting lost in all the great info of the Meta's ,
including a post by AP regarding fabio's A.P.I. , not a bad thing , thanks

thanks for everything so far though

take care , regards Greg

Back