What medium are the members of the lab tracking to?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

I am amazed at the wonderful DIY projects and skill that you all have

One thing is bugging me...

What medium are you recording your tracks to?
Not the final mix down medium ....

I myself am recording to a Fostex D108 and wonder whether this will be the weak link in my chain?

At the moment..Pt LE 001, and Pt Hd3, but in the future I´ll be looking for something else..Pyramix, and Nuendo would be 2 very likely candidates..And If someone wants to pay for it.. 2" BASF 900 Maxima

Kind regards

Peter

Nuendo thru apogee AD16x. Well, thats what I will be tracking to when I get back to working order (Insurance payd for the apogee)

Gustav

PT LE 001 sync'd to Yamaha AW2818, plus 1/4 inch tape, ferrograph, direct to 2-track CD and even minidisc.

[quote author="Consul"]Ummmm.... Impulse Tracker... ?

:green:

As many know, I'm still working out the "what to track to" part. :thumb:[/quote]
I saw your post over at another forum - and I think I am in the same quandry as me...
I don't think my D108 is going to do the DIY projects justice - but I really hate recording to PCs and tape has it's own problems (track bleed from heavy transients into other tracks, SMPTE bleed onto to track 23 etc.., set up, biasing and maintenance)

Alsihad for me too ...

Mix-plus with only an ADAT bridge and AI3's left. Sold the 888/24s
Soon will move to HD with just one 96IO unit and continue with AI3's for now.

Also the PT LE systems are on 001 and both AI3's and the B box.
Soon will get a 002 to thrash about with and if it works out I'll move a couple of 001's on to new homes.

A couple of AMIII cards on small XP systems.

The two ADAT XT's I have left haven't been switched on or even seen for a couple of years now. It was fun while it lasted. :roll:

Not the best but it is all a compromise and PT has worked out cheaper for me that any other system. Many of the people I have worked with just don't deserve to use the analog stuff and I can't afford to maintain it anyway. I don't think many studios here is Australia could afford to have multiple analog decks to get the extra track count or do dub back-ups.

No matter what the medium, the better the sounds you make early on must show through in the end.
Good DIY will never be waisted.

RME Multiface, Cubase SX v2.0 => DAT (DTC 690)
TASCAM TSR8(1/2" Ampex 499 Gold, Sometimes 456)=> Revox PR99

MCI 636 to AMPEX 1200 2" for tracking. 2X Alesis HD24 for overub
and mix. Sequoia to tune and fix stuff. Seems to be the best of both worlds.

compared to what ?

AI3's do have a sound that might be said to be typical Alesis ... and yet not quite like an ADAT.
They have a hyped feel to them and was a good option against the rather dull 888/24s

I like them and can make them work to my advantage on both record and playback. I think the playback is more hyped than the record.
What I did like about the AI3 was that at the time of release they seemed to be the best behaved when the lightpipe was not at it's best. You can wave the pipe in the hole during playback and the bad noises are well muted when things get too out of wack.
Some units would splat at full volume.
I bought the first one to partner the 001 in a mobile hire thingy. I new it would not get an easy time.

:roll:
I'd prefer to see them a little cheaper than what they currently sell for here in Aust.

You can lose a lot of sleep over this stuff.

I haven't made my mind up on the B box yet .... just so cheap I couldn't ignore it.

Back