Behringer Meters on SSL Comp

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ghengis

Hey All,

Just when I wanted to search the archives! Oh Well...

Just got a couple of behringer meters for my SSL. Does anyone know they're specs ? Or what value the meter resistor should be on the PCB ?

thanks
Ghengis

I believe the resistor should be 12k. I've used this value and the GR that the meter showed seemed to make sense, but I have yet to check it scientifically.

How would I test that the meter is correctly showing the actual GR happening? I have a Tek 465 scope, HP sig gen, Fluke meter...

Love the new place BTW! Can finally get back to DIY!

Ian

What was the model number of the Behringer meter?

VU Meter BE45 or VU Meter BE46/47/48

I've got the website link to purchase it, but I didn't know which one to order.

Thanks!

I think they are all the same except for the scale... I got a VU/GR scale (vu -20->+2db! and GR 0->-20) It is labelled BE-47... These are quite good as they also have a little light inside - anyone know the voltage ???

Ghengis

[quote author="mhartung"]hey pxpx83,

Can you post the link to buy the behringer VUs??

thanks

Mike[/quote]

I'm not pxpx83, but here's where I get mine: http://www.dbmproaudio.com/behrparts.html#METER

I think they accept PayPal now...

Ian

:guinness:

I also use the Behringer VU in my ssl clone and i use a 12k resistor and it looks right. Frank (NRGRecording) told me this as i think he was the first one to use this VU in the ssl clone.

Flo

From a similar type of VU/ammeter that they sell at Jaycar here in OZ, they say 430ua full deflection - so if a 1ma meter=1000ohms for 10db reduction, then the behringer should be 1000ua*1000ohms=430ua*Resistor now ?? therefore for 10db reduction resistor should be 2325Ohms (rounded up to 2.4k) or for 20db double that 4.8k (or 4651ohms)... This is of course assuming that the value of the behringer meter is 430ua full deflection... Can anyone verify this ?

Hi,

Frank did some experiences with the Behringer VU. A new scale as well. Looks like the sifam. You can get it here :

http://www.nrgrecording.de/html/vumeter.html

What do you think doing all these posts in one official SSL thread ?

[quote author="Ian MacGregor"]

I'm not pxpx83, but here's where I get mine: http://www.dbmproaudio.com/behrparts.html#METER

I think they accept PayPal now...

Ian

:guinness:[/quote]

So is the BE47 the best choice do you think? Also, is there anything else on that page that is worth buying, for the SSL project or the G1176 project, that would be a good deal? Would these meters also work in a G1176??

METER 0PLA-128 VU Meter BE46/47/48 (Tube Series) 20.00

Hi All,

Just to let you know that I tried this today with a 2.4K resistor in the meter resitor position. This according to my non scientific calculations should have been for about 10db... the results were roughly as follows:

with the needle at the middle position (pointing straight up) the gain reduction was 5dB (the behringer BE-47 reduction scale says 10) moving up to full scale, the reduction was 15dB... This was a little surprising. As more reduction came on, it didn't seem to be quite linear. Maybe this is a fact of all meters ? or just this cheapy one? I'm still quite happy with it though, as I generally use it around the 4-5db reduction area. Haven't tried it with the double value (4.7K) to verify the 20db reduction though. May try this later... I like to see a little more detail

hi,

i'm shopping for SSL-clone parts as well.
how much less cost a behrinkler compared to others?

i other words, do you think it's worth the downgrade (if any?) from more expensive types?

thanks,

tony dB

I got my meters from a local retailer for Aus$15 which is way cheaper then I have seen anyone else be able to get. I think this might be wholesale price which is why it is so cheap - I went to uni with the manager :) I had initial concerns about such a cheap dodgy meter, but it is only monitoring gain reduction and the ballistics work quite well. I am a stickler for a good sifam though, but so not necessary in this project (I'm talking about the sifam ma meters not the vu meters)

The last thing I need to do is put in the resistor for my Behringer meter. I read this thread a few times, and it seems that the resistor issue was never actually resolved.

For my clone, I'd like to have 20dB reduction when fully deflected.

Is it a 12k, as suggested by Ian/Infernal_Death/(nrgrecording)?

Is it 4.7k as suggested by Genghis?

I'm not exactly sure how to determine what the gain reduction should be at a particular setting, so any info on this would be great. I'd like my meter to be as accurate as possible. My final adjustments will come by listening, but I'd like the meter to as accurate as possible.

Put in a signal, threshold at max (no gain reduction)

Adjust output level to 0dB (or 1V AC)

Turn threshold downwards untill level drops to -6dB (or ½V AC)

Check that your meter reads 6dB GR.

If it reads more, use larger series resistor.

If it reads less, use smaller series resistor.

You could possibly use a trimmer in series with the meter for final finetuning.

Don't expect the dB scale on the B* meter to show anything linear - it's some homebrew scale. You need a linear meter with a linear scale to read accurately.

Jakob E.

Thanks Gyraf I'll see was value I come up for that -6dB point.

I was under the impression that the Behringer meter was linear, but it seems it isn't. The Sifam is linear, correct? If I decide to build another, I'll either go with Sifam or one like you used in your original. Can't think of the type at the moment, but I know you sourced it in another post.

[quote author="Greg"] The Sifam is linear, correct? [/quote]

Some Sifam's are linear. The VU-meters that I use are not. You simply order the type you need for your particular application. In this case a 1mA linear-scale meter (this is one of the most common types around, for just about any meter type)

Jakob E.

Back