Carnhill questions..

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warpboy

hello,
i'm searching for Carnhill transformators.
I don't know where buy these parts?
Could you help me please?

From what i get you can buy them directly from Carnhill. But the people at Carnhill don't seem to be the kind that responds very fast to emails, at least from what i have read. I never ordered from them.
Also be prepared that for small quantities the prices are very high. That's why we have grouporders here, i think the price for the LO1166 outputs gets around 1/5 if you buy 25 pieces or more.

Unluckily (is this really a correct word ?) you just missed a groupbuy of carnhill iron for the 1073. Those will be exact reproductions of the marinair iron.

Maybe there will be another groupbuy in the future. If not Carnhill direct is your best bet.

Flo

Also consider Sowter Iron as an alternative http://www.sowter.co.uk/
Really easy to get in the USA via our host Prodigy or direct on line in UK/EU. What's the Project btw?

hello,
if the sowter transformator sounds like carnhill it will be a good choice...
but i'd like to have the same sound...
it' for a chandler project (mic pre :green: )

i'm just not sure of my choice because if i realize a NEVE micpre clone will it sounds similar? or if the difference is important?

More info needed. Do you have a part/type number for the Carnhill used in the original design? I'm guessing quite a few of these trafos will be custom wound to order, so you may well be out of luck..other than purchasing as spare via Chandler!

Good luck in your search.

Sorry, but the Sowter stuff, while fabulous and dare I say preferable, sounds almost nothing like the Carnhill. Meanwhile, the Carnhill inputs sound identical to the original Marinair and St. Ives parts. The Carnhill outputs however, while probably closer than anything else I'm aware of, do not sound identical to the original Marinair parts.

To order Carnhill items you must call them. That's right, on the phone! :shock:

the part number for the first is vtb9045 and the other one vtb9046..

To order Carnhill items you must call them. That's right, on the phone!
:? :?
it's not easy to write correctly then speaking and hearing :?

i don't understand how people who copy NEVE or other parts can do if Carnhill tfo are so hard to get..

vtb9045 is the Carnhill part number for the 10468 Neve Mic Input, vtb9046 is the 31267 line input.

You see vintage Neve 31267's for sale in the black market quite frequently, they also can be wired backwards to emulate the 10486.

Great info here: http://www.jlmaudio.com/Neve%20transformer%20info.htm

this could be another option.

Hi.

I emailed Carnihill last week to get price breaks for a possible future groupbuy for 1081 inductors and output transformers.
I got a very nice reply the day after with all the info!!
So i do not see that there should be a problem with emailing them.

Regards,
Dennis

[quote author="sintech"]You see vintage Neve 31267's for sale in the black market quite frequently, they also can be wired backwards to emulate the 10486.[/quote]
Not exactly! You're only using one of the two coils in that case, so there is no noise cancelation. That shield can is almost useless in this regard and the hum pickup will be unacceptable if you have a mains transformer nearby. Also, the line input transformers (31267 and 10368) seem to have higher DCR than the mic input (10468) and therefore will cause more loss. Some microphones (read: passive ribbons) cannot drive this properly. Granted, I do not recommend this option. 10368 wired forwards for 1k2:2k4 works great with high output condensers and dynamic mics on loud sources, but the ribbon mics are still a problem. It also doesn't sound quite like a 10468. Darker, more lows.

Should you chose to ignore my advice, 31267s are readily available on eBay via www.danalexanderaudio.com, available from him directly, or also here http://www.technicalaudio.com/sconebar/

Latest posts

Back