Group-DIY Filter Bank

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamasd

after being quite envolved in the the recent thread on Filter Banks. I though I would prope about and see what sort of intret there would be on abit of a group Colaberationof a Filterbank. So if you would feel like contributing in anyways you can, opinions, tech info and the like. Filter banks are useful and fun things, and I think it would be a worthwhile direction to put some thought into and see what we can come up with.

adan

ph it totaly is, some of the most fun features are always ignored in the commercial world. Although this is a larger response to this question then I expected, but maybe I will continualy get surprised and find more responses. next time I check back.

adam

Buy some 2045s and make a Mut! :green:

It really isn't hard if you have time and patience...And v good veroboard skills! :twisted:

chef

Why deal with useing a 2045, thats no fun. If i was going to use a SSM or CEM chip for this I would go with a CEM 3372 and base it off of the Matrix 12s awsome 15 mode VCF. I would say the best way to go in all is a 24db mood LP VCF with a 12db tap and Q compensation and then go back to the old Moog modulars HP or one of teh other very intresting ideas a man in Japan has been comeing up with for HP transistors ladders. A LP and HP transistor ladder in the same box along with some toys like a wide range multiwaveform LFO, Envelope Fallower/ ADSR and a VCA or two would be a fantastic box. Just need find or figure a way to make a HP transistor ladder that sounds as ood as the classic LP. Or maybe this would be a good way to go
http://www5b.biglobe.ne.jp/~houshu/synth/Vcfv0212.GIF
Sallen Key transistor Ladder! Or just going with the discete SSM2040 and makeing a pair of state Varriables around them would be a great setup.

adam

[quote author="Swedish Chef"]who said anything about fun?
This is PRO audio, baby! :shock: :green:[/quote]

Oh yeah I forgot this was pro. Then you should probably forget about all the CEM and SSM chips, they really are not obscure enough for this group, they are still easy to find! Maybe you should try some IR3109s or Korgs IC35s. 3109s might even be a little to common, I have 12 of them after all. Or you could wind a pile of audio transformer, each drooping off a little more of the audio range, a pile of relays before them to sweep through them all. Now thats a filter bank!

adam

Please define pro audio. If it's what I think it is, then it becomes meaningless for processing say something recorded through a guitar amp, which many of us here will do, because you are recording a pretty crappy sound to start with, so I am quite happy to use SSM chips, which I'm sure don't sound any worse than others.................unless of course you are wearing the Emperor's New Clothes!!!!!!!! .......and then you might bung the sound through a flanger or a distortion and................

Oh it was just sarcasm because Chef said this is pro audio and fun has nothing to do with it. I am perfectly happy useing SSM and CEM chips as well, i have numorous ones of them. My point is why bother useing the SSM or CEM chips and deal with another chip that in a year or two will be unobtainable, if not already so. the SSM2040 has already been cloned in the descrete, and is not that hard to build, just 4 rather simple discrete OTAs. Most likely all of SSM VCFs are essentialy based on this same topology.

adam

errr...somewhere along the line some wires have got crossed! :shock:
I was joking!
I may have not made it obvious enough that I had my tongue firmly lodged in my cheek throughout this thread!
I thought this was pretty plain but if not then forgive me :oops:
No offence was intended! :green:

chef

Hey adamasd

I supose you are new here so here is a little secret.
Our Swedish Chef is also mister Mutator [ he make those things ] so I supose he will not give you detailed info [ read schematics] about the filterbank. :green: :green: :green:

chrissugar

Latest posts

Back