tube regulated power supply

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
how is the regulation - I presume very good coming from a chip regulator.
what about powering a vari mu compressor which has variable current?

[quote author="tardishead"]what about powering a vari mu compressor which has variable current?[/quote]

I once used Jakobs circuit for powering a tube mic pre. When adding a second channel I noticed that the voltage was dropping quite a lot, probably due to the higher current.
After that I changed to using a circuit presented by National Semiconductor: http://www.national.com/ms/LB/LB-47.pdf
I think this one has been mentioned here before. I even have a PCB layout for I that I could dig out.

Olaf

Yep,

That circuit is essentially the same as the one in the G9/Diy psu, but will only work well up to +160V.

In the G9 psu, there will be reduced voltage at higher current because - and only because - the second resistor/capacitor filter combination (i.e. after the regulator). Because in the G9 we don't worry about this.

Loose the second R/C filter - or reduce the R - and it will be plenty of stable for vari-mu applications. I know. :razz:

Jakob E.

Back