JLM Baby Animal configurations and options.....

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

therecordingart

Alright,

I'm not really familiar with the characteristics of the opamps and such used in the different Baby Animal confiqurations.

I really like preamps with colour....no cleanliness for me. I really like my SCA N72, but more modules are out of my budget.

I was thinking of selling off my (2)N72 and getting 4 Baby Animal channels. Mainly because I could easily add DI's to each channel and they are dirt cheap.

Can you guys help me pick some configurations I might like. For the type of music I record...I've liked the different Neve and API-ish stuff that I've used in the past.

Anything in that vein or better in the JLM Baby Animal line?

Thanks in advance!

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=13739&highlight=baby+animal

that thread gives you lots of answers, I'll hopefylly be completing my 1:4-99v-111DC pair tomorrow. I'll let you know what I think.

I read thru the whole thread before posting, and couldn't find the answers to my questions.

Basically what I need is something like....

"If you are a Neve guy try this xxxxx"
"If you are an API guy try this xxxxx"

Or

XXXX is really clean
XXXX is not so clean
xxxx would rock on drums

Type a search for all baby animal threads and youll find more info .
The 99v is slower and fat / the hybrid is quicker and tight ect ect
the 1:4 jlm transformer is punchy , the lundahl Hi Fi ect ect

Matt says this

99v vs Hybrid

Theyre kind of opposite ends of the spectrum of 'good'. Well not completely opposite, but the 99V is a low gain, 4 transistor, descrete opamp that sounds, in my opinion, round and warm but still always remains clear. This is why I like it for vocals so much. Its flattering but never muddy or harsh and seems to add intelligability and articulation to vocals.

The Hybrid is a very different beast. Its essentially a Burr Brown OPA2604 with a pair of output transistors that can be biased all the way from B class to nearly pure A class. It also has a DC servo that can be enabled by soldering two pads together.
In A class mode, its fast and tight but still with a smoother top end than the 2604 alone. Its also ultra high Z in (because of the 2604) and can drive any load down to 50 ohms without its THD increasing. This is why I chose as the input drive opamp for my mastering pultecs, as the Z of the circuit changes a lot depending on the settings, so I wanted an opamp that wouldnt change its performance no matter the load.
It would also be an excellent choice in a mic pre when youre using a duller mic (like a ribbon or U47) and you want to preserve the top end just as it is, aswell as maintaining a tight bottom end.

Read this thread all the way thru
http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=13739&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=baby+animal&start=0

Closest to Neve would be JLM1:4+99V+JLM1:1:1 but as Ive said before its not the same (not intended to be at all, thats why we make the 1290 kit) just similar. If you want even more 'sound' and dont mind loosing some gain, load the output of the 99V with a 100ohm 1w resistor. When driving heavy loads like that the 99V's second harmonic goes up lots.

As for API you could get a Cinemag input transformer, make a 2520 and use an JLM1:1:1 or similar on the output and youd be quite close.

M@

Back