Big inductors... where? (plus lame switch question)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kiira

Hi I'm building NYDaves passive EQ and Mr. Wilco doesn't like me any more. He probably thinks I'm a flake since I asked for all of the wrong sizes the first time. This time I I ordered Fastrons for all but the two largest, 820mH and 330mH. I sure wish that Wilco would sell through Mouser or something. :sad:

I was wondering if someone could recommend parts or methods which worked well for you in DIYing some inductors? I can't afford that expensive Sowter or Cinemag stuff at the moment. What about the coils and inductors I see inside switching power supplies... could they be rewound into useable stuff ya think?

This is a really lame second question but I need some of those cute winky buttons for my DPDT push switches, for 48V. pad, bypass etc. Do the switches need to be any special type to use the cute winky switch caps? I have plain PCB normal sized switches.

thanks!

Kiira

[quote author="kiira"]

I was wondering if someone could recommend parts or methods which worked well for you in DIYing some inductors? I can't afford that expensive Sowter or Cinemag stuff at the moment. What about the coils and inductors I see inside switching power supplies... could they be rewound into useable stuff ya think?

thanks!

Kiira[/quote]

You've probabely seen this info before but just in case.....

http://www.diygallery.de/DIYsites/inductor.html

I've made some inductors this way and they are very OK :thumb:
They where only 70 mH max. so I don't know whether a 820 mH one will fit or not.

Rewinding those coils is possible. If it sounds good, I don't know...just try and while your at it, why don't you rewind the cores from your unusable Wilco inductors? I guess they use good quality cores for their inductors.

[quote author="radiance"]

You've probabely seen this info before but just in case.....

http://www.diygallery.de/DIYsites/inductor.html
[/quote]

Yes that was very helpful thank you. I still am in the dark about much though. But it is good to know that it is worth trying it because they do sound good :razz:

I've made some inductors this way and they are very OK :thumb:
They where only 70 mH max. so I don't know whether a 820 mH one will fit or not.

Well I could make individual coils ... a 3.3,4.7,33,47,154,330,820 mH etc. all on one size core/bobbin, whatever. I don't understand how to bring the taps out anway lol. :razz:
My problem is just what to order and where to order it from. I'l look in the catalog link and try and match the specs up to some distributors specs here in USA when I find a place that sells the stuff to people who are not industrialists, and girls. :roll:

What type/guage wire did you use? I didn't see that in there.

edit:
OOPS- .3 mm. ok I spaced that.

mmmm, I have to figure out what to use other than manifer 196 ferrite as that is the German company's name for their stuff. urk. :razz:

Rewinding those coils is possible. If it sounds good, I don't know...just try

It seems like a dumb idea now though... I don't of what they are made, their AL and all.

and while your at it, why don't you rewind the cores from your unusable Wilco inductors? I guess they use good quality cores for their inductors.

Alas, they are all sealed very pretty and nice.

thanks!

Kiira

Do the switches need to be any special type to use the cute winky switch caps?
Yes. Made by a few different companies over the years, but ITT/Canon part # F2UEE and F4UEE are the only ones you can still find easily in small quantities. Try Digi-key, Allied, or Newark. If the actuator on the switches you already have is the same then you're all set. The winky (shutter) caps are made by E-Switch, series TH201. Mouser and Digi-key have them.

[quote author="solder_city"]http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=14093

or maybe nyd would have some ideas. havent seen him around in a while tho.[/quote]

ding ding ding a hundred thank yous. The Amidon link and the info in that thread showed me how to do this and they will sell small quantities.

One question maybe someone knows.... if I am tapping a coil do I solder the wire for the tap to the wire I'm winding and then keep on?

thanks!

Kiira

[quote author="EisenAudio"]
Do the switches need to be any special type to use the cute winky switch caps?
Yes. Made by a few different companies over the years, but ITT/Canon part # F2UEE and F4UEE are the only ones you can still find easily in small quantities. Try Digi-key, Allied, or Newark. If the actuator on the switches you already have is the same then you're all set. The winky (shutter) caps are made by E-Switch, series TH201. Mouser and Digi-key have them.[/quote]

ah! ok thank you my switches look like PCB mount copies of F2UEE. Maybe I'll buy just one and see how it works.

thanks!

Kiira

[quote author="kiira"]if I am tapping a coil do I solder the wire for the tap to the wire I'm winding and then keep on?[/quote]

I would've liked to do that with my coils, but the whole process of overwinding and taking off turns doesn't lend itself to using the same piece of wire for all the taps... I just wound each tap with a new piece of magnet wire, and connected each tap externally, using the magnet wire itself at the end of each tap as the inductor's leads.

Peace,
Al.

Latest posts

Back