Omron G6A Relay not switching

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guavatone

I can't get my relays to switch. It's a basic setup with a 4007 diode across the +/- with the line towards the + side. They are 24VDC relays and I am getting 23.9 to 24V. The minus side is actually DC ground/0V.

it is based on this:
ol.jpg

please help!

Data sheet:
http://oeiwcsnts1.omron.com/pdfcata...86929DE586256FC7006173ED/$FILE/D20G6A0305.pdf

[quote author="guavatone"]I can't get my relays to switch. It's a basic setup with a 4007 diode across the +/- with the line towards the + side. They are 24VDC relays and I am getting 23.9 to 24V. The minus side is actually DC ground/0V.
[/quote]
Reverse diodes!!!!
Duka

If the pcb shows the component side I think that the coil polarity is shifted on the relays? Footprint shows the bottom view not from top.

The diodes are not reversed. It looks to me like the relays themselves are. Bear in mind that the footprint on the datasheet is actually reversed (bottom view).

Best,
Al.

I just looked closer to the data sheet. I was hoping to FAB PCBs based on these. lookes like I need to reverse the relay polarity on each one. Can I just use Neg 24v in the meantime to make sure the circuits work? Or is there another way to "fool" the relays to switch correctly.

-Damn I would think that items on the top of the relay would relate to the actually pins looking down on the component rather than flipping it around. Good thing they arent horisontally transposed or I'd be really f'd

[quote author="guavatone"]Or is there another way to "fool" the relays to switch correctly.[/quote]

Put them in from the copper side?

[quote author="guavatone"]-Damn I would think that items on the top of the relay would relate to the actually pins looking down on the component rather than flipping it around.[/quote]

The legend on top of the relay should match the pins, it's the one on the data-sheet (the one that says bottom view) that is reversed. If they reversed the print on the actual physical relays that would be comletely fucked!

Test them out of circuit to be sure...

Peace,
Al.

I don't know the circuit you are using and why a polarised relay is necessary - but the pin out (and your PCB design) is standard to a BT 47 type relay - so this type could be used if necessary - just get the external diode the right way around!

I couldn't find the exact specification of the relay you are using in the data sheet mentioned - whether it is a latching type - or not. Please give some more information.

JG

I know it's a bit slack of me not to fully research your data sheet, but on past (and VERY irritating experience) check to see if the relay has a built-in diode... some do as I found out to my cost!

Well, I get the dumass award. As I see now the top of the relay says "bottom view" as well. pretty ilogical method -they might as well put nothing on the component other than part #.

Arrrrggggg!

I have 8-10 PCBs made with this layout. Since they are home-made PCBs I am not sure if solder will stick from above if I put them under the board.

Sorry for bothering everyone on this.

I tried -24v to ground ref. and it switched. I reversed the diode as well. Now I can temporarily test these babies.

Back