Bal output circuit not worky (pic)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freq Band

GDIY Supporter
OK, let me have it....
Why won't this work?
Quad opamp. Matched resistors.
No signal is getting through. There is a r 50k at the input, output to a line stage mixer. It just gets real hot.
=FB=

http://www.analog.com/UploadedFiles/Data_Sheets/151309759OP471_a.pdf
opa471baldriver.jpg

There's a mistake in the OP471 data sheet. Pin 13 is the inverting input and pin 12 is the non-inverting input. The pin numbers are correct in the diagram but the + and - symbols are interchanged. Check that you have wired it up according to the pin numbers.

I am 98% sure I went by the pin #s, because that's how I laid out the circuitboard, by looking at the ic diagram on page one of the pdf.
Clever of you to find that though!

I'll check for that 2% error margin I left myself. Boards are at home. I made two of these , same results each time.

So you think it should work ?

=FB=

Here is a similar circuit (correct pinning) but also the input is a bit different ?
Why is that?
(DRV134, 135 pdip and soic, still available)
=FB=
http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/drv135.pdf
drv134.jpg

Yup, the circuit looks OK, except for signal pinning as already pointed out.
Is the +/- supply pinning OK? Can you trust the data sheet..... there is already one error :?!

You have queried the +/-18V text; I don't know this op-amp, but +/-18V is not unheard of in some consoles; bear in mind that some 5532's are spec'ed to operate as high as +/-22V!! (Be very careful with replacement ICs if the supply is anything over +/-18V).

However........ a couple of things that could be a source of trouble:

1. There are no frequency-limiting caps accross the op-amps. Suggest 22pF in parallell with R4, R5, R8, R9. This is standard-practice when designing with this type of cross-coupled driver. Your op-amps may be going into oscillation and/or driving the outputs hard-to-rail. Have you 'scoped the circuit?

2. There are no output coupling caps. This is not really relevant to your present problem, but accidentally shoving phantom up an op-amp's output has been done more than once, and usually with unhappy results, except for the bank-balances of freelance techies :grin: . For good LF response, use a 220uF with the +ve out. Insert between the outer end of R11 and the x-coupling feedback line. Do the same for the other output.

3. The 10k balance setting pot (R13) is way too high in value, and setting the null point will be a life-time's work..... unless you have a 40-turn device!! Drop it to about 2k2. Even 5k is a hassle to set.

With reference to your latest question about the input configuration being different between your postings, the original post has the input buffer providing a low-Z non-inverting drive to the outer-legs of the balanced output, with the inner legs being grounded. (For what it's worth, these x-coupled outputs like a low-Z drive).
Your most recent posting has the input stage expecting an external low-Z drive to the inner legs of the balancing stage, the buffer provides a low-Z drive to the outer legs. Interesting ideato drive all input legs with low-Z.

Latest posts

Back