VUs on AMEK Classic not working properly - Need help!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enginEAR

Hello everyone.

Since a few days i realised a the right master-VU of my AMEK Classic desk peaking without any audio beeing played back from the Pro Tools. Within the last days the VU is showing me a full peak (without moving) as soon as the console is switched on. When connecting a DAT to the main-outs and recording just the noise coming out of the console there is nothing weird or crackly heard on the right channel - it is silent as the left channel. The same happened to the VU of subgrup 'H' a few weeks back (but had to be put aside by me due to a lot of work). Is it possible to disconnect the VUs temporarily in order to not hurt them (and make me feel more comfortable while mixing) until i found the bug in the desk? I do have the (or mostly all) schematics of the desk in PDF-format. I really appreciate your help very much!! Thank you for your time and input.

-Mario Dahmen

if you tap the meter does it go away, it could just be stuck... lightly tap the glass and see what happens? in a prefect all is fine and it will unstick itself...

[quote author="pucho812"]if you tap the meter does it go away, it could just be stuck... lightly tap the glass and see what happens? in a prefect all is fine and it will unstick itself...[/quote]

Hello.

Thank for your reply. Unfortunately the VU is not stuck or stuff like that because is goes back to zero as soon as the console is powered off. Any other suggestions?

Could be a problem with the meter drive electronics. Time to get your test meter out and make some measurements.
If the output is passing audio normally - and with the main faders down - the VU meter is still showing full scale - the meter driver, or peak rectifier IC has possibly failed and is putting DC across the meter movement.

Send me a PM if I can be of further help.

JG

[quote author="AudioJohn"]Could be a problem with the meter drive electronics. Time to get your test meter out and make some measurements.
If the output is passing audio normally - and with the main faders down - the VU meter is still showing full scale - the meter driver, or peak rectifier IC has possibly failed and is putting DC across the meter movement.

Send me a PM if I can be of further help.

JG[/quote]

PM sent! :)

Latest posts

Back