Sowter 8751 for Jensen/API type pre?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flatpicker

Anyone ever used the Sowter 8751 1:1.5 "Neve" output transformer in a Jensen or API type preamp? If so, how does it sound? Just wondering...

8751 is gapped and made to handle DC throught the windings!
When I hocked up and LO1166 to a 1081 output I got very strange LF response! Maybe cjenrick can answer why?
Try a 9780 instead!

Bumpity bump - would like to get in on JC's Carnhill groupbuy but want to use the LO1166s for JLM99v outputs.....anyone know if lack of sufficient DC through the tx causes serious issues?

Joe has his gapped output TX for the 99v, would there be issue with an LO1166? I just read an explanation from CJ that mentions the gap only lowers the inductance a bit and should otherwise be fine...

Cheers Tom

The LO1166 is normally wired series:series in all the class-A stuff. But Thomas, if you hooked it up to the 1081 output (a BA340, yes?) like you would an LO2567 (parallel:series, I believe), then you're getting more like 10dB gain instead of the 4dB gain it produced in the class-A circuits. Perhaps being wired for this kind of ratio really emphasizes the effect of the inductance loss of a gapped design? Just a guess.

Tom, what is the ratio you'd want to use with the 99v? Series:series the LO1166 is 1:1.7 (4dB gain). I really don't know anything about what kind of performance to expect hooked up any other way.

CJ? PRR?

JC

Thanks JC,

series 1:1.7 @ 4dB would be just fine as they should end up on the output of a pre &/or passive eq for make-up gain wth 99v's...

BTW to save littering the group buy thread - do your LO1166's have the lam holes for PCB mounting?

Cheers Tom

Latest posts

Back