2 unbalanced from 1 unbalanced xlr?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bitman

Is it cricket (proper) to connect a unbalanced output to an xlr's HI and ground, and another unbalanced output from the same xlr's LO and ground
when driven from a true balanced output, effectivly getting a 1 x 2 signal distribution?

- This would be effective if possible in my instance.

:LSB

This is all too true.... but the resultant output from pin 3 would be polarity reversed..... so it may not be such a good idea, unless it's just for a monitoring output. :sad:

Yup , that's what I'm gonna do george, Du dats what I'm gonna do!
Gonna monitor da outputs.

:Warner Bros. cartoon thing there, not directed at you.

:LSB

[quote author="NewYorkDave"]Hey Ted, good to see you again.[/quote]

Seconded.

Bitman, what does "Cricket" mean? Is it Cockney rhyming slang? Jiminy? Or is it to do with the sport? :oops:

Cricket...... a frightfully English game; completely unknown in Scotland and Ireland, played by one or two in South Wales, renowned for it's fair play and complex rules, particularly concerning LBW (out - leg before wicket); American readers don't even think about trying to understand it. Games last up to 5 days and very often end in a draw; even more often brought to premature ending by rain. Play regularly stops for tea.

It's got nothing to do with monitoring or polarity..... BTW, taking outputs from pos and neg phases of the same signal is not a good idea, because one day you will run across an output that has been properly designed with floating characteristics, and it will suddenly not work!

American readers don't even think about trying to understand it.

I hope that wasn't intended as a putdown.

A couple of weeks ago, I saw a shop specializing in cricket bats, balls, wicket stumps/bails and other supplies in a Pakistani neighborhood in Brooklyn. So the game must have some practitioners here.

Well that's what I get for quoting my dear old dad again.

He spent WWII in England and picked up that term. I for whatever reason used it. He used it in the context I did.

Hey NYD! :grin: no, certainly not a put-down. We are cousins divided by a common language, and by the complexities of the rules of sport.... I have tried hard to understand the finer points of baseball, but my brain doesn't work that way!
We introduced cricket to the Indian sub-continent, now they beat us at it most of the time (although just at the moment we are winning a series of matches against Pakistan).
But we must return to the subject.... to digress just isn't cricket. :guinness:

Latest posts

Back