Spray Paint

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aluminum can be painted but it needs to be etched first. Acetic Acid(vinegar) is a suitable etching solution. Can?t remember if it needs rinsing so hold on for info. If not etched you'll notice it just peels off or chips very easily. I have seen people scuff it or rub paint onto it with a cloth, then wipe it off leaving a haze, let that dry then apply topcoat. These are the backyard methods of painting aluminum. I'll ask some refinishers tonight and get the professional way.

Straycat,

powdercoating is more the way to go if you want to paint aluminum

I have a friend working in a "doors and window"production company and they sometimes powdercoat stuff for me. turns out great, we even have wood (MDF 18 mm) powdercoated to decorate a studio with! looks cool

Tony

Professional way, Sulfuric acid bath, then alodine. Sulfuric acid strips all oxide(Powder) alodine is corrosion preventative and paint adhesion medium, rinse after sulphuric acid and the alodine, dry before painting. Scuffing with the sulphuric acid helps to prep surface. My acetic acid (vinegar) method is not recommended by the refinishers that I talked to but has worked for me. Any of the retail aluminum prep solutions that etch the surface will work fine. The professional method is used on A/C aluminum surfaces. Your rack shouldn't bring on the same stresses that and A/C experiences but hey it sure won't chip or peel. I used to bake "STEEL" car parts before painting them for the first coat. Tough as nails finish if you keep painting thin coats as it cools. NOTE: Always keep the spray can nozzle that gives you a fine even coat. Clean the nozzle with an upside can of your wife?s crappy color spray paint of the same type paint. Don't waste your favorite color. :wink:

An alternate approach is to first put a thin coat of body filler, the real good stuff. Then you sand and can stick any type paint on there.
Rage is a good brand of autofiller.

Latest posts

Back