1272 - why a step down transformer

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Continuing my education can somebody please explain why?
If I read this right originally a 1272 is to provide make up gain for mixing losses etc..
SO why choose a input transformer that, the 31267, taht gives a 12db loss in 10k:600 arrangement and the use of amp cards and transistor to make up the gain before going through a 600:600 output transformer

Something isn't clicking in my brain - why loose all that gain and then have to bump it back up again

Sorry for the beelding obvious question again

A 1272 doesn't have a 31267 or step down transformer in it. It has a 10468 wired as 1:2 (1k2:2k4) or 1:4 (300R to 2k4) depending on the back connector strapping.

A 1271 has a 31267 wired as step down by that is a different story.

Many thanks Joe.
mmhh - so I have approx 16x 31267s - I might have to think about what on earth can I use them for (and I don't want to use them for mic preamps)

UK,

Reverse wire the 31267's per Joe's webpage (JLM) and use them in Neve preamps anyway. I've built lots like this, and the sound is excellent.... VERY Neve.

Also, just for clarification the 1272 doesn't have a 600:600 output transformer either. It used the LO1166 wired in series:series for a 200:600 output (+4dB more passive gain for that module, BTW).

Peace,

JC

ok - now starting to get he picture
Just one more thing - how is the 1073 configured to use the 31267?
I am being thick again - but I can't understand why the 31267 is used in the neve products as a step down transformer for a line input -
And then have to make the gain up later
I am being thick - but can somebody please tell me why?

Back