G9 qualitys

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rotation

Hi!
Someone from our Planetaudio.si is (seriously) thinking of building an G9 preamplifier with my help. I proposed it because of simplicity, easy to find parts and very good experiences with all Gyraf's gear.
I laready told him some things about qualitys of this design, but he also needs some comments from people that experienced it's sound. Can anyone please comment this preamplifr and compare it to other known and commercial designs?
Thanks in advance!
Miha

It´s in the same league than other professional (not mass product-prosumerbullsh*t) preamps. I am very happy with with mine though I have a bunch of Preamps. Highly recommended
:guinness:

Great sounding box - you think some named voicechannel type boxes sound good until you compare to G9 - just to realise what a shit piece of gear you've been using, "pre-G". I got mine with OEP's - sounds wicked on drum overheads, DI bass, vocals and my colleague has been "mastering" through it to "warm things" up a little. Put mine in a very portable box(check my posts)

Try it. It sounds beautifull. I can't compare it with others but i can say you that it sounds, rock. A little aggresive sound. Not very fat, too.
My opinion is that has a rock style sound. Not very clear, not very fat not extra linearity but a nice rocker.
I suggest to use it with oep and not extra high fidelity components. Its sound personality is rock n roll so if you build it with lundahls and pio caps for example :shock: you will kill its sound character. Try it with oep and wima caps and you will be ok. If you like a more lundahl (neutral) sound you must build something else like "slowblow" or 12sn7 version of slowblow.
Is what you need. I would w**k to sign rock with g9 but i never would record my grand piano with it.... :?
cheers
fotis

i have two unit -lundhals versions, and love it completely. the dual output-gain combination is very usefull as you can dial sounds from clean to fat depending on the situation, making it very versatile. I got much success with it on voices, from rock to classical acts. to me it allways sound really sweet and very musical.
I use mine all the time!
happy building
maxime

Well I would prefer the G9 in most cases to my V72. It´s more exact, has more definition and less hiss :wink:, the G9 sounds definitly more modern vs V72 more oldschool.
Vocals are more upfront, focused and neutral with a Siemens V276 and a Neumann V476 while the G9 gives a more round and colored vocalsound in a positive HiFi-like sense (think Enhancer).
Compared to a Drawmer 1960 It has a way richer instrument input sound and and is more on the tube-colored side but as above stated think of the signal being enhanced in a very nice and colorful way.
Compared to a JoeMeek VC1QCS it´s cleaner, warmer, has more low and high end. The Meek is better for making a signal agressive.

To be honest it´s very hard to find the right words for all this and it´s definitely not objective. In the first place I was really surprised about Fotis´ answer saying that it colors the sound. But the more I think about it I have to confess that he is right. But this way of coloreing is like I said more on the enhancement side, adding some nicerizing artefacts to the sound. Like those superhighend HiFi system which are far away from what I´d describe as neutral but which make the audio bigger than life in a positive sense.

i let an engineer friend test my one channel oep g9, he has a vt-2.

the difference was stunningly small, most certainly not 2000 euros like he said... the vt-2 had a bit more low end, or the g9 was a bit brighter in the midrange (whatever you prefer). jaakko told me it could just be the transformers, i used oep in mine. maybe the jlm output transformer brings the unit up a bit more in comparison, like one forum member reported... im def. building one with jlm/other to test it out in the near future.

Thanks for your help guys! It's helpfull to have owner's opinions. I hope that guy will build this preamp because i'm very interested to hear what it does.
Miha

@svart:
clean is for me output open and setting the level with the gainswitch
fat and colored is cranking the gain and padding it down with the output pot
:guinness: :guinness:

Yesterday I recorded some bassguitar with my G9 and it sounds wonderful! Jakob did a great job. :thumb:

I am about to start building one of these with the OEPs (enclosure just arrived this week). I am just curious about the comment FotisGR made saying "Not very fat". What would you guys consider Fat and Funky? I am building the G9 regardless, but maybe for my next project...

Back