G9 with different tubes (soundfiles inside)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jensenmann

Some results from the Karlsruhe Hörsession:
Here´s a link to a packed 20MB file which contains several recordings with a G9. We changed the tube in the SRPP stage since there´s no feedback around this stage which could equalize nonlinearities.
The G9 was the OEP version. We recorded a padded signal from my HD recorder so that every tube after warming up the same time could get the exactly same signal through always the same channel.
Happy download and have fun
www.kubarth.com/temp/groupdiy/G9-Roehrenvergleich.tar.bz2

thanks to kubi and (silent:arts) for being partner in crime
You rock
:thumb:

Some impressions from the action going on this day:

Test setup for comparing different preamps
normal_000_0153.JPG

normal_000_0152.JPG

Volker (silent:arts) dissecting an alphatone DI
normal_000_0154.JPG

Thanks! It works now!!! :cool:
Nice Testfile..... I can hear some little differences with my PC Speakers, but I would need to hear it back home again to find my favourit.
:thumb:

[quote author="jensenmann"]Everybody´s invited to tell us which tubes he liked best, anyway.

So let´s hear it :razz:[/quote]

I did not listen to the files, but whatever file used the tubes in your avatar, thats the file I like the best!

Gustav

can´t exactly tell which I like the most... I´m in the workshop...
to me the 02-valvo sounded a little different than the others. seems like
the esses are more kinda sharp in this recording.

I tried to have an analytical listen, and although it was all very subtle, I was able to pick favourites.

Siemens und Halske ECC82 came out as the best sound. It really performs cleanest and has the "high end" edge over the rest of these. Secord favourite was GE ECC82. Is it just me or does it sound a bit louder than the rest of these? It could be the distortion it produces that gives that impression, and the impact seems very usable.

Valvo struggles with sibilance and high frequency definition, and sounds almost broken in comparison to the Siemens.

The rest of the tubes sound quite OK, but I always went back to the Siemens as reference, as it sounds that much better than the rest.

Playing Valvo and Siemens side by side, for example, the difference isn't all that subtle anymore.

You know, I'd love to say these comparisons were useful, but regardless of which tube is used, I still can't understand a damn word!!!

:razz: :razz: :razz: :wink:

JC

Hiya Chaps,

Filled my G9's with NOS yellow badge Mullard ECC82's - Best so far .Even on blind testing :cool:

tried GE, tfunken, trigor, tesla's - more 'sound '( can't explain it - just richer, fuller better sounding), with the mullards', and that's not just my opinion :wink:

wish I had more :cry:

Steve :thumb:

i've just listened to the clips and notice they are all incredibly hissy. i was thinking of doing a g9, but not sure if they all sound like this. :shock: do they?

thanks. :guinness:

Latest posts

Back