Amek Angela "upgrade"

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nickos

Hi all!

I was thinking about re-cap and do some mod on a Amek Angela.
Any suggestion?
What do you think are the best caps fot this work?

thanks.

Nickos

The mixer is not very old, but it worked hard and has been mantained bad...
Each channel is turning slightly different to the others...

I like it and i would like to keep for some years so a was thinking about a "restoration".
I would like to try also to turn the pre a little bit "open", some seems to loose in presence...

Do you have any suggestion?

Thanks,
Nickos.

here's a link to something I came across a few days ago:

http://gearslutz.com/board/archive/index.php/t-41055.html

...with some brief advice about upgrading the op-amps (someone asks specifically about the Amek Angela about halfway down)

I was thinking of doing something similar on one channel of my console and comparing the results...

What you should do first is clean all the channel connectors with Caig Deoxit and switches with Caig Gold, and spray all pots with Caig Calilube. I know, I sound like a Caig ad, its just what we use at work and it seems to work well. If all these points are very dirty you will actually hear a big change in the sound once theyre clean.

Then investigate if the caps may need replacing. How old is the desk? It might be worth pulling a few decoupling caps and capacitance and ESR testing them to see how theyre holding up.

Beware substituting opamps as youll need to thoughly test the circuit with the new amp for oscilation and other problems under different conditions as well as probably upgrading the PSU to cope with the extra current draw.

M@

Nickos..

I would stay with the 5532/5534 chips. They sound great
in the Angela and will be hard to upgrade at a reasonable
cost. Also the EQ sounds very nice as is with the TL074s.
I don't know how much you could improve the sound
by swapping them out but I am thinking about playing
with a channel in mine just to see.

Good luck with your Angela...I love mine. :grin:

BTW..talk to slenderchap about any part needs. :thumb:

GARY

Thank you guys!!
I think i'll do some "deoxit" job before and then use my "last" channel to do some experiment....
If i find something interesting i'll post my mods.
If have any other idea please post it...

Bye!
Nickos.

[quote author="gar381"]mattamoogus...
Thanks for the Caig tip as I am restoring my Angela
at the moment. I think I will give their products a try. :thumb:
[/quote]

We cleaned a 44ch Big last year with the stuff, trying ch1 first to see if it would fix the scratchy switches and when we popped it back in and listened to a CD through it and ch2 the improvment was very noticable. The most interesting thing was how much better the top end of the eq sounded after the pots were cleaned. Much smoother and more extended than the adjacent 'dirty' channel. It seems strange I know but those were our observations.

M@

Just a word of warning on the de-oxit. It is not designed to be left on contacts. It is for cleaning contacts- using a sprayed cloth, wiping edge connectors and using a cram-red sprayed piece of cardboard in edge sockets (after a good vac of the empty desk!!). The contacts should then be wiped with isopropyl or other non-lube cleaner, and finished with the cram-blue. The thing with the R5 is that it can get capacitive when left on metal to metal contacts. The Gold is good in switches, but I would not schpritz switches that are OK. Test and grade them all, and hit only the ones that need it.
As far a Amek mods, I think there is something with patchable monitor ins or switchable group/tape mon. I helped with some re-tracking with that some 19 years ago. Search the net and look at your schemo's for any more clues than this.
Mike

We stock a lot of the parts;

www.audiomaintenance.com/pdf/a10.pdf
www.audiomaintenance.com/pdf/a20.pdf
www.audiomaintenance.com/pdf/a30.pdf
www.audiomaintenance.com/pdf/muteswitches.pdf
www.audiomaintenance.com/pdf/angela_extender_set.pdf

We manufacture a replacement for the mute relays (originals are obsolete).....

Also there are a couple of mods available..... one allows the line input trim pot to be bypassed and the gain set accurately with a trimmer... the other changes the aux 1&2 mute to be a "mon" switch.

And of course we sell kits of capacitors..... the type used on the 9098i and BC3 are the type we supply. We have re-capped a couple of Angelas recently and they (allegedly) sound great.

Colin
[email protected]

I've heard some very good talk about the eq section in the angela.
It would definetly be worth doityourselfing.. allthough it has some rev logs that might be hard to source.. omeg can probably do it though...

hejsan....DIY??

It could be done but it would be a lot of work!
Very nice and musical EQ!

72amekeq.jpg

Hi pass 80hz
lo pass 10k

Hi shelf with turnover 5k, 7.5k, 10k, 15k
lo shelf with turnover 40hz, 80hz, 120hz, 160hz
swept mid 80hz-3k narrow and broad Q
swept mid 500hz-15k narrow and broad Q

uses 3 TL074

72amekeqpcb.jpg

here is most of the top of a double side pcb eq section.

uses 9 dpdt
the lift-cut pots are 22k
the sweep pots are daul 470k anti log

Anyone want to DIY? It would be worth it! :twisted:

GARY

sodderboy..

Misty "BLUE" watercolored memories for me too!!  
Reminds one of peter's 525 PCB and both quite English!!
:thumb:

Oh BTW here is how my overhaul is coming:

amek1.jpg

Fun little work station for now in my workshop! :green:

GARY

Latest posts

Back