Balanced unbalanced line-in question

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kiira

Quick dumb question about my NYD-2b... I have a stereo 1/4" jack on the front panel for line-in and that goes to the 10k:10k xformer acourse.. Is there a way to do it different so I could use both balanced and unbalanced line-in? The way it is now only half the transformer would get input.. the sleeve on the mono jack goes to ground .

Kiira

As long as you have it wired like this:

primary + to T
primary - to R
shield/ground to S

inserting a TS jack will automatically pull the primary - to ground, giving you an unbalanced input. Simple eh? :cool:
The only problem would be if you had a TRS with nothing wired to the R. Then youd get the familiar one legged transformer bleed sound (very quiet high freq only).

M@

[quote author="mattmoogus"]As long as you have it wired like this:

primary + to T
primary - to R
shield/ground to S

inserting a TS jack will automatically pull the primary - to ground, giving you an unbalanced input. Simple eh? :cool:
The only problem would be if you had a TRS with nothing wired to the R. Then youd get the familiar one legged transformer bleed sound (very quiet high freq only).
[/quote]

Ah ha! So the ring of a trs jack will touch the sleeve (ground) of a regular TS jack. I thought it floated. Yes I wired it that way. lol it would have worked if I'd tried it.

thanks,

Kiira

Back