modding HHB 'Raduis 10' (aka TL Audio 5001 - valve quad pre)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mfdu

has anyone cracked open and modded a HHD radius 10 (also known as a TL Audio Ivory 5001 - http://www.tlaudio.co.uk/tlaudio/docs/products/5001.shtml)?

i'm wondering about opamps, and substituting valves. also adding a DI to each channel (via JLM's go-between, maybe?)

i'll pop the hood tonight and post some internal photo's. . .

chris.

been googling for Larkin, but cannot find.

any more details? (i presume we are not talking about the Phillip Larkin Society - To promote awareness of the life and work of Philip Larkin (1922-1985) and his literary contemporaries )

lettuce know?!

chris.

PS i opened her up last night, but my digicam batteries are flat. will post internal pics over the weekend.

There was a thread about this a while ago, basically the TL 'valve' circuit is fundamentally flawed and cannot be easily improved with a simple mod. The problem is cause by the transistor amp stage after the tube which is pretty much B class and adds that nasty harshness youre probably hearing. Unfortunately if you bias them more into A/B you exceed their max wattage and they blow up. Basically the best mod is to sell it and buy something thats easier to mod :wink:

M@

I had one of those and sold it on ebay and used the money to build a G9-one of my better decisions. :cool:

[quote author="mattmoogus"]There was a thread about this a while ago, basically the TL 'valve' circuit is fundamentally flawed and cannot be easily improved with a simple mod. The problem is cause by the transistor amp stage after the tube which is pretty much B class and adds that nasty harshness youre probably hearing. Unfortunately if you bias them more into A/B you exceed their max wattage and they blow up. Basically the best mod is to sell it and buy something thats easier to mod :wink:

M@[/quote]

yeah, that's it. but it isn't all a pile of suck - i find the pre useful as a different colour.

but internally it looks a bit challenging, so maybe i'll just bite down until i have time to build some G9's . . .

chris.

I got the schematic. I can scan it this week and put it online if some is interrested. I got a hum problem on the input and I need to fix it to sell it. I hate this unit !!

Hey Chris i got an idea....

lets get together and do a group diy on a few g9's :cool:

i've been meaning to make a few for ages

cheers mate!

yeah deal. i gotta do my LA2A pair, first (getting trannies and VU's off rick and i can't keep him waiting!)

but for sure - i could cope with two or four G9's.

taking in my CEI 77's (1/4" mono tape deck preamps - same as beyer) to the broadcast workshop in north melbourne. they reckon they know the pinouts and voltages i need to build a PSU and get them up and running.

but no more news on the hhb schlemo's?

chris.

i've never proceeded beyond asking the question.

it's just another colour available to me, and i enjoy it for that.  so no - no schematic from me, sorry.

chris.

Back