OEP A262 Foil Screen & Screening Can

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jazzy_Pidjay

Hi !!

In the A262A Can, we can see
that the hole for the Foil screen pin
was smallest than the others holes.

But when i put the trafo in the screening can
and test the electric contact, the screening
can don't touch the foil screen pin. :roll:

So ? anyone know if the foil screen pin & the screening can
have to be connected together or not ? why ?

thanks

I think you sould connect it together, by puting a little soldering at the hole...

Or, you may run a wire from the screening can to any point in the chassis...

The standard way with these is to solder the pin in, you're also supposed to solder all around the bottom plate, where it meets the can.

That way, the whole thing is grounded and you have a rock-solid can. If you don't solder round it, the can could simply fall off once the device is built.

Il faut bien souder tout en rond! :grin:

Keith

yes of course !! il faut souder bien rond :grin:

i have also think of the falling of the can embase..

but the mu-metal refuse to be solder :?

any idea ? how have you solve this problem ?

:roll:

Have you tried some soldering paste?

I usually put lots of soldering paste when something doesn´t "like" being soldered....

[quote author="rafafredd"]Man, get some solder paste. It makes soldering really easy![/quote]
Can I solder can to bottom in a couple points (plus screen pin to bottom) or I must do it allaround?
Duka

I usually solder the can to the plate 1/2 way along the length of each side. I've found lightly both surfaces where the solder will go. So, sand both on the inside edge of the can & the bottom plate. Makes it much easier.

Peter

[quote author="peterc"]I usually solder the can to the plate 1/2 way along the length of each side. I've found lightly both surfaces where the solder will go. So, sand both on the inside edge of the can & the bottom plate. Makes it much easier.

Peter[/quote]
Thanks

They're probably referring to rosin flux paste, which can indeed make such soldering jobs easier. Just be careful not to make a mess; the paste tends to liquify and run all over the place when heated. Clean off the work afterwards with isopropyl alcohol.

(You still have to use solder in addition to the paste, of course).

Yes, I was referring to solder flux paste. It makes life easier when soldering. And yes, you have to clean it after soldering.

But it makes things like soldering to mumetal very easy!

Hi,

Is there no concern about flux running into the can and corroding stuff?

Just a thought as I plan all this stuff in my head... parts on the way :)

Like I said, clean the flux after soldering. I can´t solder to those OEPs cans without those old solder flux paste. I mean, the old ones, more corrosive and poisonous. Keep a good fan on your face while messing with this stuff.

Latest posts

Back