GSSL and software compressors...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caps

Just curious thats all...

As to who has compared a GSSL to any software compressors. Even the waves G series buss comp. would be interesting. What were your thoughts.

Better, not as good? how? Just different?...

well I have done listening test between the various software versions of the SSL and my GSSL hardware unit. they are two different beasts. When ever people compare software VS hardware you really can't pick a winner as although they are supposed to be the same they will never be. No matter how good software will get, it will never be able to simulate the pushing of electrons through circuits. MY GSSL kicks major ass and I have found it most useful for parallel stereo buss compression. Yes patch the stereo buss into it, compress and then bring it back into the console on 2 channels back to the stereo buss at lower volume. Do it wrong and you get a bad feedback loop. Do it right and you get that well rounded low end with a dip at the high end which causes a nice balancing out IMO. perfect for the hippty hoppers. I did a mix not to long ago where the moment I did that Mr. hip hopper was like yo dawg what did you just do, that sounds dope. Trade secret I said but nothing more then parallel compression on the stereo buss vs doing it on the drums.
so software is a nice alternative to the hardware and although sounds pretty good doesn't really sound like the hardware IMO. if you can best to stick with the hardware. :thumb:

Back